"What?" I ask, looking up with him as he studies me. His lips slightly turn up into a smirk.

"I cannot wait to see you take over the throne. You'll give him a hard time." He mutters looking away.

"What!"

"Nothing. Let's go." He says before climbing down the stairs and motioning me to do the same before heading out of the courtroom. I silently follow him. Our footsteps echo in this deserted place. I stare at the back of his head while walking as I try to think. Should I trust him?

"I am loyal to the throne. You can trust me." He answers my thoughts and I stop walking. Can he read my thoughts? I still don't know what to think about him. But Vesta is positive about him. She's telling me to trust him but I still have my doubts.

We keep walking through the snowy night until we reach my home.

"Stap! What are you doing?" I whisper-yell at him when he was about to open the front door of the house.

"No one will hear you, trust me." He says while silently opening the door for me. I give him a puzzling look before walking inside. He enters after me and shuts the door silently behind him. He silently follows me upstairs.

"I'll be right outside if you need me." He says before I enter the room and lock the door behind me. I crash on my bed like a dead plank and before I know, I am deep into sleep.

I wake up and do the morning chores before heading downstairs for breakfast. Grace is missing from the table and it didn't take me long to realize where she's gone. I take my seat beside dad and instantly the cook pours me a cup of coffee.

"Nefret, I need you to start training," Dad says.

"For what?"

"You'll be the official representative of the pack when Phoebe becomes the Alpha." His words make me choke on my coffee.

"What?"

"You heard me right." He says before continuing to eat.

I see Archander step into the dining room and take a seat at the end of the table before he smirks at me. I look at my family sitting on the table that seems oblivious about his presence.

"They cannot hear and see me," Archander says before yawning and stretching his strong arms out in the air. I raise an eyebrow at him as I continue sipping my coffee and study him.

"You'll love doing the job, Nefret. I know you'll be best at it." Mom says cheerfully and I see Phoebe roll her eyes at her words. To be a pack representative, one needs to be diplomatic and intelligent but I lack both the qualities. Heck, I can't even read!

God knows why dad made take such a decision.

After eating breakfast, I head to the place I dread the most in this word- school. I feel Archander follow me silently. I reach school and attend Mrs. Sutton's English class. I can feel Archander's presence behind me for the whole class. He's sitting silently on the bench behind me. 

Today, Mrs. Sutton is talking about P.B. Shelly's sonnet and I don't feel like listening to her. As she continues talking, I feel myself drifting into sleep.

"Nefret!"

I sit up in alert, crashing back to earth. I look around the class to find everyone's eyes trained at me.

"Stand up." Mrs. Sutton commands. Her eyes piercing through me. I do as she says.

"Page 35, read the summery out." She commands next. I could feel myself turning red every passing moment. I could see the amusement bubble in people's eyes. They're about to witness me struggling to read. Everyone knows I cannot read but they try to pick on me by telling me to read. They like to see me suffer. They like to laugh at my disability. They like to make fun of me while I struggle to do the basic thing.

I take the book in my hand and slowly flip through the pages until I find the page she mentioned. I sigh deeply knowing that in the next moment, the whole class is going to burst out laughing and my self-esteem is going to be murdered for the trillionth time.

I look at the words. They're are laughing at my disability. They're mocking me, messing with my head. I want to tear the book into shreds until the words become unreadable.

I feel Archander stand up behind me and step beside me.

"Lemme help you." He whispers against my ear before I see him flip the page of my book back and forth. The words stop laughing at me and I see them rearrange themselves until I am able to read them.

With a deep breath, I start reading while the whole class listens to me in shock.

~

"Mom! I can read!" I squeal as I burst into the house, taking the people present in the living room by surprise.

"Oh, Nefret! I am so proud of you!" Mom says before hugging me. I hear Grace snort behind her.

"Great, now you can be promoted to the first grade." She muses before she chuckles with Seth. I see Archander step behind them before taking their heads and banging them together.

"OWWW!" Grace and Seth hiss while rubbing their heads and looking behind them to find no one.

"What was that?" Seth asks looking around while I chuckle.

"What did you do?" Grace asks narrowing her eyes at me while I shrug.

"Sometimes it's good to be aware of your surrounding than sucking each other's face." I chuckle while both of them glare at me. Mom coughs at my words before leaving the room.

"See you later," I said before running upstairs. As I enter my room and close the door behind me, I see Archander sitting on my study table and grinning at me.

"I declare you as my official guardian angel," I said flashing him a smile. His grin widens at my words.

"As you wish your highness."

... 

comment and let me know what you think about this chapter :)

what do you think about Archander?

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE. FOLLOW ME

Thanks for reading my book and have an amazing day/night :D

Love Y'all! Muahhh

-Benita