Chapter 70.

Zayn's P.O.V:

Time is agonizingly slow. 

My mind is silent as I stare at the girl I lost because of my recklessness. She strides on her way up the stage, accepted her diploma, smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. 

I felt my heart twitch. 

her eyes met mine and in just as fast as it came, she darted her eyes to the floor and walked down the platform. 

I stood up my seat and loosened my tie as I walked away from the busy event place. 

I cant bear to look at her. 

I leaned against the tree and tried to recollect my thoughts. I haven't slept, I couldn't. It's been a few days since. 

I cheated. Thats what I did. I took Lexie Shay for granted, sure she hurt me but that was never a reason for me to run back to Izzie. 

I sigh heavily before letting my thoughts of Lexie and Styles' relationship blossom in America.

fuck. 

I feel my hands sweat. The thought of letting someone else have her just tears me apart. 

but then again, I do not deserve her. not after what I did. 

 "I'm sorry" I hear someone say behind me. I spun around to see Ms. Evans. 

oh 

"Ms. Evans, shouldn't you be graduating" I greet and she looks at me with a remorseful expression. "went to the bathroom" she commented

"well this isn't the bathroom" I joked half heatedly, still consumed with thoughts. "the ceremony is a  wee bit overrated in my opinion sir" she replied. 

Then silence falls upon us as I nod to what she stated.

 "I'm sorry it didn't work out with you and Lex" she clarified, breaking the silence and I didn't know how to react. 

me too.

"I mean I don't absolve you of your huge ass mistake Mr. Malik but I did think you and Lexie were the end game, honestly I do still think that." she admitted and it brings a little smile across my face. 

"that thought is long gone Ms Evans" I comment, sadly. 

She cleared her throat and spoke "I'm not all for that whole cliche, you know, cheating boyfriend gets a second chance and they live happily ever after thing, but I do believe that in love there is an allowance for mistakes, even huge ones. I think I may share that thought with Lexie." 

I absorb her words and a flicker of hope fills my mind but as quick as it came, it disappeared. "Well." I shrugged, dismissing the thought. Not wanting to hurt her even more. 

"It's tonight" Jasmine said quickly as she gazed at the on going ceremony, "what?" I asked, looking at Lexie from a far who seems like she's searching for Ms. Evans. "She leaves tonight" she clarified. 

My eyes widen and my heart plummets to the ground but she spoke up"You're a dick" she stated, fixing her toga cap on. "but you're a dick that loves my best friend very much, People are allowed to make mistakes even monumentally big ones but if you want redemption, it's all in what you do. Either you let one mistake get in the way or you could work hard and earn her trust back"

"you get me sir?" she asked. 

"what do you major in again Ms. Evans?" I asked referring to her lovely words sewn together, does she major in creating writing? I completely forgot. . She chuckled and shook her head before looking at me coldly "don't let her slip away, you know she is worth everything" and with that she walked away.