Blonde Brownies

"You ever had a blondie?"

"What?" Thalia responded, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "A Blondie?"

"Yeah. blonde brownies. Don't tell me you've never heard of them," Percy replied, flopping down on his bed beside her.

"I haven't," she said flatly. "Care to explain?"

"Their brownies, just blonde." He paused, looking thoughtful for a second. "There's an ingredient switch, but I don't know what it is."

"Why are you telling me this?" Thalia demanded, glaring at him. The only reason she was here was that Sally was the closest person willing to take her in for the school season, since, according to Chiron, she 'needed to experience mortal life.' Percy could be very annoying sometimes.

"Because my mom's making blue brownies, and she said she would make some blondies for you." Truthfully, that got her a bit excited. She had never even heard of brownies before she met Luke, and she'd never had any until Olympus. Even now, they were like a delicacy to her. To know that Sally was willing to make her brownies, or blondies, whatever, it made her happy.

She couldn't resist asking how soon they'd be done. Percy laughed. "Someone's prepared to have treats. She said it'd be maybe an hour or two." Damn. That was a long time for an ADHD demigod.

They passed the time by carrying out some casual conversation, with the addition of lots of abuse and some lightning. Thalia couldn't help visibly perking up when the heavenly aroma of fresh treats, a bit like cake and a bit like chocolate but something else entirely. Percy laughed, even though he also had a bit of shine in his eyes. "You ready?"

"Hell yeah!" She said fiercely. "Let's go storm the kitchen."

The two teens exited the room and carried out their charge to the kitchen, trying (failing) to be stealthy. Apparently, Sally had super ears and was already prepared, with two plates on the table. One of the squares was a dark blue on top with a duller colour on the more crumbly inside. The other was a brownish yellow with small chocolate pieces stuck inside it. "Don't be greedy," Sally scolded when they both rushed the table. Percy mumbled what was probably a thank you through his bite of blue.

"Thanks, Sally!" Thalia said before she bit into her brownie. It was the best thing she had ever eaten. It was definitely chocolate, that much was obvious, a very rich, dark chocolate, but there was also a taste almost like caramel. A sweet undertaste. The texture was soft with a contrasting crunch that the chocolate chips added in. She almost moaned.

"Good, I guess?" Sally commented, chuckling. Thalia nodded hastily, taking another large bite.

She watched as Percy tore off a corner of his and then nodded to her. "Trade?"

She thought it over, then nodded. "Trade." She ripped the corner off and they switched, a few crumbs dropping onto the table between. Sally watched with amusement as they did this, happy with her decision to take in Thalia. She really was a wonderful addition.

Thalia thought hers was better. Percy's was more on the chocolate side, more firm and of a consistent texture. That didn't mean she didn't enjoy it.

"It's definitely good, but I have to admit that mine are much better," Percy said, smirking at Thalia.

"Are not!" She protested, slamming her hand on the table to add effect.

"Liar," Percy taunted, popping the last of his brownie into his mouth. Thalia did the same and then Percy bolted back towards his room.

"Come back you bastard!" Thalia yelled after him, darting down the small corridor to his bedroom. She faintly heard Sally's call about her profanity, but Thalia ignored it. Thalia never carried out and punishment against a bit of bad language. Percy slammed his door and she slammed into it shoulder first.

They got along well.