Plant a Flower

"If you could, would you change what tree you are?" Percy asked, sitting against the trunk of Thalia's pine and stretching his legs out in front of him. Said daughter of Zeus hopped out of the trunk, sitting down in front of him, even if that meant sitting inside his legs. He'd learnt quickly being a ghost meant no sense of personal space.

"Weird question. Why?" She asked instead of answering.

Percy shrugged. "I thought about it and figured it would be an interesting conversation starter, but now I'm genuinely curious."

"Gods, anything?" Thalia mused. "I like being a tree, but what other types of trees could I be?"

"There's oak, birch, those giant redwoods," Percy said, listing off the top of his head.

"Not anything huge. I'm okay with my general size," Thalia shot down, looking up at her pine. "You know, I think I like my pine."

"Any reason why?" Percy asked.

Thalia's face scrunched up in thought. "I don't know. I guess I just can't imagine not being a pine tree. Besides, pine's are cool. They can survive through the whole winter, unlike most other trees. Very tough."

"I can understand that," he agreed.

Thalia smiled at him. "What about you?"

"What?"

"What would you be?" He thought about it. He wouldn't want to be anything big but nothing too small, either.

"A rose bush," he decided.

Thalia looked taken aback. "Rose bush?" She asked incredulously. "Why?"

"They're pretty on the outside but are actually covered in thorns," Percy stated. "I've been bullied my whole life. Being adored but having a way of defence would be a nice change to how I've always lived."

"That makes sense," Thalia agreed. "Man, your life must've been miserable."

"It was," Percy confirmed. "Though being at camp is better, even if I do still get bullied. I've at least got friends here."

"What about me?" Thalia asked, narrowing her eyes at him threateningly.

"You're a friend," Percy said. "Technically you were included in the statement of why this is better since you are considered a 'friend.'"

"Just making sure," she said, a grin set upon her face. Percy chuckled at her antics.

Thalia suddenly stiffened, her smile dropping off of her face. "They're coming," Thalia said, her form flickering. Percy stayed silent, knowing that this meant Annabeth and Luke were coming up the hill.

"Hey, Perce!" Luke greeted him when he and Annabeth crested the hill. "Still coming here?"

"Every day," Percy answered, giving the teen a hesitant smile. "You know I enjoy it up here."

"Well, we're just here to talk with Thalia. As always," Luke told him. Percy grunted in affirmation. "You can stay where you are, if you're comfortable."

"Thanks," Percy muttered, glancing at Thalia. Annabeth hopped over his legs, passing through Thalia unknowingly. The daughter of Zeus suddenly disappeared, reappearing behind him with her legs curled up inside his torso and the rest of her body halfway inside the trunk of her tree. He was used to this now, her being so jumpy around Annabeth and Luke.

He listened to Luke talk to Thalia, watching the two demigods talk to the tree. He didn't really pay much attention until something Annabeth said caught his attention.

"You had always wanted us to be adventurous, to help other demigods," the daughter of Athena sighed. "I wonder what you'd think of what we're doing. You'd probably be so disappointed in me."

"Annabeth, no," Luke said. "She wanted us to come to camp. She'd love being here with you."

"But don't you remember how she had said we'd help demigods?" Annabeth said. "She had said she'd want to go on quests to help other demigods. That was her plan."

"Annabeth, no," Thalia said quietly. "I don't want you to risk your peace for what I wanted."

"Annabeth-" Luke tried, but Annabeth refused.

"You remember," she said. "Don't you?" Luke was silent.

Percy decided to but in. "Annabeth, Thalia wouldn't have wanted you to risk your peace for what she wanted. You were a child. She would've done it herself, if you've taught me anything about her."

"How would you know?" Annabeth challenged. "It's not like you knew her."

"I think I know enough about her," Percy said, smiling knowingly.

"He's right," Luke agreed. "She would've done it herself, most likely."

"I guess that's true," Annabeth sighed. "Thanks, Percy."

"Of course," he answered, watching the duo leave. It took a few moments, but Thalia eventually spoke.

"Thank you," she said, almost too quiet for him to hear despite her being almost inside him. "I don't think you understand how happy that makes me."

"Why wouldn't I?" Percy responded. "She's my friend, too."

"I do think you're revealing too much, though. It isn't a good idea for her to know you can see me."

"We'll be fine. Don't worry," he smiled. She smiled back.

"I won't."