Chapter Two: Queen Bitch Reigns

A whole year later, and it feels like everything is different

A whole year later, and it feels like everything is different. Part of Eisa feels so alone, because even though she's the top of the social food chain, Mona and Hanna her popular picture perfect lackeys, or as some plebeian normal person would call them, her friends, she feels more alone than ever. Without Alison here, her closest friend since birth, Eisa feels like she's floating through life. She knows what Ali would want, so instead of moping, she pulls down the mask of Queen Bee perfection.

In other parts of the small town of Rosewood, Aria returns, and Hanna approaches Spencer at the mall.

"I can not believe Spencer Hastings actually has time to shop. I mean, you're interning for the mayor, taking classes at Hollis and redoing the barn. And in your leisure moments, you Facebook and Tweet."

" You know me, I like to stay busy."

Both girls have changed in certain obvious and subtle ways. Spencer's style has gone from awkward nerd to preppy rich girl, and her vibe is much more calm, as if she's comfortable in her skin. Hanna, likewise, has taken the leap in to growing up, going from wannabe popular girl to a real one, all confidence and beauty.

"It's called a summer vacay Spence. You know, when normal people chill the fuck out."

"And spending your entire summer shopping and tanning is a much better use of your time."

"Yes, it's called a life," Is Hanna's only admission of guilt.

"Did you see the paper today?" The mood sours slightly with Spencer's questions, which Hanna answers monosyllabically with a nod and a 'yeah'. "She's gone but she's everywhere."

"Especially when Eisa's around. I can't believe it's been a whole year."

"Do you remember what Ali said that night? Something about our secrets keeping us close? Well I think it was the opposite. I think they drove us apart."

"Don't say that around Eisa, she stills preaches every single Ali-ism, like she's got them on a tape recorder," Hanna jokes with the tall genius, smiling as she mentions her only remaining close friend from those days.

"Where is your illustrious leader? I can't see a head of red hair and her usual impeccable style anywhere."

"Like she'd be caught dead here. You know her."

"If it wasn't bought one of a kind at Paris Fashion Week, then it's not worth owning," The two chorus words that clearly were once repeated to them often, making them both laugh at the reminiscence.

"So, what's the occasion?" Hanna gestures at Spencer's search for clothes among the racks as she asks the question.

"Family dinner. We're meeting Melissa's Fiancé," Hanna doesn't miss the bitter undertone to Spencer's words.

"Did Miss Perfect find a Mr Perfect?"

"He's a med student so everyone's thrilled," Sarcasm drips from every syllable. Hanna takes a look at the top she's chosen, and every lesson of Eisa's fashion advice whips through her head in an instant, all about self-confidence and stunning with fashion at every opportunity.