13 - Stepmother From Cindrella

Rose

I got out of the shower and wrapped the fluffy pick towel around my petite body. I rushed to the walk in closet and dressed in a random hoodie with boyfriend jeans.

I left my hair to dry naturally while I applied a moisturizer to my face. One thing I hated while growing up was using a blow dryer, nothing personal but just the thought of using it never settled well with me.

I was about to leave the room when a thought entered my mind. I should take medicine. Ideally I shouldn't have bothered about taking them. I just don't want to create a scene down after listening to Hades. So it was best I take my medicines.

I went back to the closet where my duffle bag was kept on the bottom right shelf. I dragged it out and opened it to find a small container consisting of my medicines. I have enough medicines to last me two weeks but after that I need to buy them.

I took out the medicines I needed and just before I was about to zip back my bag, my eyes traveled to a tiny clear pouch. It consisted of my drugs.

I took that pouch in my hands and counted the tablets within it, one, two, three, four and five. Only five, that means I would only have five days of peaceful sleep without any of the monsters chasing me. I still remember the day clearly when I first used them as suggested by my first floor neighbor Akira. I never dared to tell this thing to Asher.

Akira was on my floor that late at night when she heard my screams. The next morning she came to me and I just told her I have nightmares. That same day in the evening she presented me with this drug and told me to take it at night. That night I had the most peaceful sleep in the long run.

Akira is a weird woman and I know she was in drug dealing and was trying to make me her customer. But the drugs really helped me so I bought them regularly from her.

I sighed and put the clear pouch bag and then closed it and pushed it back to its original place. I left the walk in closet while I gulped the seven different color pills without water. After two years of eating so many pills, you get used to swallowing them without water.

I closed the door behind me and made my way downstairs. As I clumsily walked down the stairs I saw a woman in her early thirties waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs.

"Good morning, ma'am.", she greeted me with a genuine smile.

"Good morning and please call me Rose.", I returned her greetings while asking her to call me by my name.

"Okay miss Rose, please follow me. Sir is waiting for you in the dining hall.", she requested.

"Just Rose.", I asked her to only call me by my first name.

"Err.. Okay, miss. I mean Rose, let me escort you."

I gave her a nod after which I followed her to the dining hall.

In our old house when I used to live with Hades, we would always eat in the kitchen itself. But maybe they were in the old days and seeing Hades has grown into a multi-billionaire it was only common for him to now have maids and a dining hall.

As expected from a cliché dining hall, the room has a huge central table with twenty three chairs arranged systematically, while Hades sat on a chair in the center looking like a king for which he has become.

As soon as he saw me, he got up and pulled the chair next to him for me. How chivalrous was this act of his. I sat on the chair while muttering a small thank you. Soon the breakfast was severed and it looked like the food was made for twenty rather than two.

I took a tiny portion of fruit salad with some whipped cream and started taking small bits.

"You need to eat more."