Chapter 22

I decided to take the high road and I agreed to for him to come over. I had to agree with him to let the world know that she was not conceived through rape, and instead, Silver was conceived through a one-night stand. It takes all of my self-control to shut him out again, but lately, I had forgiven Camila for what she has done, and I decided that I need to move on from the past and move onto me in the present. Although I may hate everything Austin has done, if I keep sitting in this stage of my life I don't know if I can move on. I sat down at the counter in her kitchen, my leg bouncing from my nerves. Silver sat behind her in the living area playing with an action figure Camila gave her.

​My nervousness builds as the time passes, Silver sits behind me without a clue on what this step felt like. Austin didn't beg me to be able to take Silver out instead he was being respectful about my hesitation, so he decided that practice may be the best. He wouldn't always be around Silver and if it got down to it, he could always stay behind in the car. At the time I felt torn because I was allowing Silver to see her biological father, but I know that I want to make things work with Camila and I can't do that unless everything with Austin is finally settled.

The knock on the door brings my thoughts to end. I get up slowly and take a deep breath before I open to the door to find Austin wearing a genuine smile at me. The smile he has on radiates happiness, but also gratefulness. He is wearing jeans and a plain white shirt with a simple black full-zip jacket over it. I nearly laugh at how his outfit reflected an average dad. I couldn't lie and say he didn't fit in with the other dads at the practices who yell at their daughters for kicking around in the dirt. Austin waits for me to greet him first, so he stands politely at the door.

​"Hi Austin, please come in," I smile at him.

​"Hello Lauren," He smiles back at me and steps in the apartment. "Thank you."

He sighs of relief when I let him in. His newly relaxed shoulders told me that he was worried I wouldn't let him in. Austin quickly scans the apartment and looks at Silver playing with an action figure down in the living room. The figure flies through the air as Silver whispers what is going on. Suddenly, the action figure is crashing down to the ground and Austin chuckles quietly.

​"Silver," I turn and call for Silver who still sits playing with her action figure. "Are you ready to go to softball practice?"

​The young girl finds her my eyes and nods. She quickly bounces into the foyer with a bright smile on. She wore her blue team shirt and black softball pants. Her blue socks and belt matched her shirt and her hair was French braided down her back. "Yes, mommy," Silver smiles showing her teeth. She lost one of her front teeth a few days ago and was always ready to smile.

​"How about we grab your bag and cleats?" I ask her as I place my hand on her shoulder and nudge her towards the chair that has her bag on it.

Silver takes off towards her bag and I follow her into the living area. Silver grabs her bag from the chair and zips the front down. A few minutes ago, I had checked to make sure Silver had everything in her bag, her gloves, cleats, water bottle, and her bag was in the side pocket. The bag was a roller bag since all of the smaller girls started using those. I wanted her to fit in with the rest of her teammates, so I made sure to keep up to date with what was going on.

​"It's right here Mommy," Silver smiles and grabs her bag and starts rolling it towards the foyer area where Austin stands watching the pair. I stop her before she could get too far.

​"It looks like you may be ready," I smile at my daughter before leaning down to kiss her forehead before walking with her back to Austin. Silver always found a way to draw a smile on my lips. It was like she was constantly drawing my moods.