Chapter 6

Lucy's POV

            "Can we talk about everything?" Alexa asks sitting next to me on the bed.

            "Sure," I say sighing and looking at her.

            "I want the wedding to be right after you take your boards."

            "Why?" I ask confused.

            "I've waited too long to marry you, Lucy Vives. I'm so tired of always being apart from you. I've talked to Lauren and I want us to move to New York. I can manage the PR office over there, Lauren says that Silver will move in with her permantely, and we can live with Lauren until we find our own place," she says holding both of my hands.

            "Oh my god you're being serious....what about my leg? What about your life here...."

            "I don't have a life here. My future is with you and I want this to work. It has to. Because I told you on our first date that I'd never let go. I've already packed up my stuff in my apartment and it's in a truck heading to New York. We can fly down to Miami tomorrow, pack all of our stuff at your apartment, and be at Lauren's house by dinner time."

            "Lexa, my leg..." I say looking down at the now propped up limb.

            "I'll do the heavy lifting. And we'll go see my friend in New York. He's a great doctor and I'm sure he'll get you in quickly," she sighes out.

            "Fine, we can do it. But what about my job?" I ask her realizing I can't just leave my surgical residency behind.

            "I called the chief of surgery a couple days ago and asked if you could be transferred to the New York-Presbyterian. He said yes and I just got the confirmation email. You start work there next week," she says smiling.

            "I can't believe you...." I say getting up and limping over to her desk chair. Sitting down, I wince.

            "What is it?" she asks facing towards me.

            "We never talked about it," I say looking into her eyes and tearing up.

            "Lucy...."

            "NO...." I yelled. "You were the one who decided to move here. You were the one who decided to leave me months after getting engaged. You were the one who left me alone to raise a fucking three year old! That's not even ours!"

            "Calm down, please," she says quietly. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry that I left you all alone and it was all very sudden. But the distance didn't hurt us. At first it did because you didn't talk to me for weeks, but then we were okay. And you raised that little four year old girl beautifully. She may be Lauren's, but you've taught her a lot. You've taught me a lot. When we were freshmen in high school I was depressed and you were my salvation. We rode the bus together, held hands while walking to class, ate lunch together, rode the bus home, hungout, and went on dates for four years straight. Then we both decided to go the college. Me for journalism and you to become a surgeon. Then our junior year we find out our best friend...our sister....was raped. And now she's pregnant. And right after she had the baby we insisted she give it to us, because her management didn't want her to be seen with it in public. A year later, I leave to come here for work and you're left alone. You're the strongest person I know. You've done a lot for me and you should be proud of yourself for that. And that's why I want to marry you. I want to call you my wife. And raise our own child. And make you wake up with a smile on your face. Because I love you. And I'll never forgive myself for leaving you like that. But I'll spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to you," she finishes. There were tears rolling down both of our cheeks. She walks over and hugs me tightly.