Chapter 16

Lauren's POV

              Silver and I pulled up to our apartment building, after being at the store for about an hour. We went to the store, because we're having Alexa, Lucy, and Dinah over for dinner tonight. I thought it'd be nice to have a little family dinner. I don't know how to explain to Silver that Camila's seat won't be occupied tonight. I don't plan on explaining it until she asks.

              "Mommy, come on! I want to show Lexa and Lucy what we got!" Silver says excitedly from the back seat. I get out of the driver's seat and I unbuckle her car seat strap. She jumps out and goes to the trunk. She grabs the lightest bags and then looks at me.

              "Okay," I say picking up the rest of the bags. "Let's go show Aunt Lexa and Lucy." She presses the button for the elevator and it opens. We step in and it goes up five floors, where our apartment is. Just a floor above Lucy and Alexa. I unlock the door and Silver throws her bags up on the counter. She runs over to the phone and dials Alexa's number.

              "Lexa, come over! I have to show you all this!" she yells before hanging the phone up.

              "What are you so happy about, girly?" I ask as I put some of the groceries away in the fridge.

              "Mom, we're having all my aunts over tonight. It's a special night. I'm just happy to be all together again," she says running over to the door. She swings it open and Alexa and Lucy are standing in front of the door. "Took you long enough," Silver says running over and climbing onto the counter.

              "She's a ball of energy," Alexa says shutting the door. Lucy sits on a stool across from Silver as she sits on the counter, and I finish putting groceries away. "What did you give her?"

              "She didn't have - ," I start but Silver interrupts me.

              "Hey. I didn't have anything. I'm just happy to be with family. Now, Mom, go run you errands so I can show them what I got for us to cook. Go," she says pointing towards the door. I giggle and so do my friends from childhood.

              "She definitely takes after you, Lauren. She's right though, you should go ahead. We'll start whatever she wants to fix," Alexa says. I grab my bag and I walk over to Silver.

              "I'll be right back, baby," I whisper kissing her cheek. I walk past Lucy and squeeze her shoulder, and I give Alexa a kiss on the forehead. An unspoken way of thanking her for being there, even though I hadn't been the best to her and Lucy lately.

              I walk into the coffee shop where I played the piano and I walk up to the counter. The shop feels empty whenever I'm here. It feels emptier when I don't have Camila by my side. Her presence is evident everywhere I go. As painful as it is, I have to remember that she left for Silver's benefit. But, how long will I be able to do this without her?

              "What can I do for you?" the same barista that took my order a few days ago asks.

              "Good to see you again. Is Ms. Turner here?" I ask looking around the shop.

              "Ms. Jauregui, it's nice to see you. What can I do for you?" Ms. Turner says walking down the stairs just to the left of the piano.

              "An ear," I say looking at the ground. She gives me a soft smile and nods her head slightly.

              "Alison, could you fix us some drinks and bring them up?"