He raised an eyebrow before that smirk pulled completely across those beautiful, soft lips. "Of course it can." I wrung my hands together nervously as that smirk turned more into a sneaky smile. "Don't tell me you're afraid of my baby." He teased—like actually teased, as I bit my lip anxiously.

       "N-no. It's just that—they're just... Aren't they, like, really dangerous?"

       My heart beat harshly in my chest as I watched him push in my chair and step forward, his dark eyes shining brightly in the dim light of my kitchen. "Only if the driver doesn't pay attention." That didn't calm the unease sitting heavily in my stomach or keep the nerves from my chest.

       "Hey..." He started softly, and I hadn't realized he had walked right up to me until that strong, calloused hand gripped gently at my chin. "I would never purposely put you in danger." He lifted my face until those dark eyes could lock on mine, and I felt the butterflies flutter at the soft look there.

       "I know, but it's the accidental part I'm worried about." I grumbled before that rough thumb of his brushed barely over my bottom lip. I had no idea how my lungs still functioned with how often he made them stop working.

       That sneaky smile was long gone as those dark eyes gazed almost softly down into my own, then he let out a small sigh. That boy was always sighing. "Alright, how about we go around the block once and if you don't like it I'll go home and grab my car." He sounded so genuine it pulled at my heart and made guilt instantly swamp my stomach.

       "No, its alright! You don't have to go all the way back home just because I'm a scaredy-cat."

       His grip fell away as those strong shoulders shrugged, a dark amusement flashing across his chestnut gaze. "It's not a big deal. Besides," He let out a small laugh and moved away to grab my—his—jacket off the other end of the table. "I'm fully counting on you loving it."

       He held up the jacket for me, that smirky-smile back in full force as I stumbled forward. I kept my grumbles to myself though as I pulled the warm, worn-down leather over my arms and embraced that familiar scent I loved so much.

       I followed him reluctantly out of the kitchen and towards the front door, my feet almost dragging against the hardwood of the floor. Don't get me wrong, I loved spending time with him more than anything. Luce and Tate were at the college for the entire day, dad was gone on another business 'trip', and no one was around to scold me for skipping.

       The morning had been the closest thing to bliss I had ever felt, despite the fact that we spent the entire time studying Calculus—vomit central—and I never wanted the day to end. It's just, Jax had this friend one time at one of the places who had a motorcycle and he totaled the thing on a sharp corner. He barely survived the crash and was in a coma for months.

       I made sure the door was locked before forcing my heavy feet down the porch's steps and towards that bullet-looking crash-monster. Rex had said it was some Yamaha, or something like that, then he had chuckled and said people usually just called those kinds of bikes crotch rockets. That made me laugh, but it was a lot easier to remember than its actual name.

       "Arms up." Rex all-but demanded when I finally reached him and the bike. He had grabbed what looked like a super big, padded, line-backer jacket off the seat and was holding it out to me.

       I tried not to frown as I let him pull the large, heavy jacket over my shoulders, and watched his strong fingers zip it closed before buttoning those heavy-duty buttons. The bulky material was huge, and the sleeves fell well past my hands. When I glanced up at him questionably he just shot me a quick smile with the words "just in case" slipping past his lips.