Chapter 13

Hey guys!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes! Feel free to point them out and I'll fix them ASAP!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 13

       The heavy clash of a thick arm nearly slamming into the locker beside mine drew a small 'eep' from my lips. I jumped, my hand tightening around the binder I had just grabbed, before turning sheepishly to face the tall boy practically crowding me against the open cabinet.

       "How did you get to school this morning?"

       That was it. No 'Hi, how are you today?' or 'Good morning, did you sleep well?'. Nope, just a blunt, rather rugged question. I wouldn't say his voice was angry, but it definitely wasn't a ray of sunshine either.

       "Uh... um. I-I walked?" My voice sounded more like a question, even though I really did walk. I squished further against the locker as the tension strumming through him pushed against my own shoulders.

       "How am I supposed to drive you when you walk here at five in the fucking morning?" I ignored the fact that Rex knew the exact time I left my house, and focused on the dark, gruff sound of his voice. My toes nearly curled in my shoes-and not in a bad way.

       "Uh, I-I... I'm sorry?"

       He closed those dark, beautiful, eyes and let out an exasperated sigh before leaning slightly away from me. The hand that wasn't pressed against the lockers and caging me in reached up to run through his dark hair.

       "You can't honestly think walking across town-alone-is a good idea."

       "I've done it before. A lot of times before."

       "Yeah, before Jason had a rape-wish over you."

       My mouth snapped shut, and the dark look in his chestnut eyes made my heart drop to my stomach. Rex was right, of course he was right. He was always the one saving me. I hadn't thought about Jason when I left that morning, even though I was pretty sure he was still in the hospital. Rex hit really, really, hard.

       The other boys he hurt that day were still in school, and they did not like me. Well, it was more Rex they didn't like, but I wasn't going to put taking it out on me past them.

       I woke up extra early that morning, just so I wouldn't run into Luce or dad. I still wasn't ready to talk about ditching school and running off to the Cape yesterday, and I definitely wasn't going to ask Rex to come at five in the morning just so I could avoid my family. Especially since last night hadn't been a dream.

       I didn't realize a tense silence had stretched over us as I got lost in my head, until Rex was stepping closer and easing me back against the still-open locker. "I shouldn't have said that. I..." He paused, his dark eyes flashing before his tongue darted out to lick his lips. My breath hitched at the sight, and it was suddenly insanely hard trying to tear my gaze away from his mouth.

       Did it just get ten degrees hotter in here?

       "I'm sorry."

       The spell his lips put over my foggy brain snapped in half, and my eyes flashed to his. He was apologizing-again. I probably shouldn't have been keeping count, but this was the third or fourth time he's actually said sorry to me and I still wasn't used to it. I wasn't used to anything Rex Turner did.