Chapter 26

Hey guys!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 26

       "Creak..."

       The sound of my window creeping slowly open caused the breath in my lungs to turn to ice. I clutched the blankets tighter to my chest, my eyes wide open as they stared at the bedroom wall in the darkness. I refused to turn and look at the window.

       It was just a dream, just a bad dream. There was no one there. There was no one-

       "Rose? You awake?"

       I shot straight up in bed, and my head snapped over to the beautiful boy climbing carefully over the bench beneath the window. Guess he didn't want a repeat of last time.

       "Rex?" I whisper-hissed towards his shadowy figure. "What are you doing here? Are you okay?"

       "I... couldn't sleep." He spoke softly, his voice no louder than a whisper as he slowly closed the window to keep out the chilly night air.

       "Are you spending the night at Trey's?" I asked just as softly as my still wide eyes watched him walk over to my bedroom door, test the lock, then walk slowly back over.

       "Not anymore." He grumbled as he pulled his hoodie over his head and kicked his shoes off. Heat quickly started to flame up the back of my neck. "Scoot over, Roza." He ordered softly and wasted no time in pulling the covers back to slip into the bed beside me when I did.

       My heart was pounding so viciously in my chest I could hear the blood pulse through my ears. This was—definitely new. Not that I would ever in a million years complain. Rex was in my bed, under my covers, with me. Maybe this really was a dream.

       "Why can't you sleep?" I asked into the quiet of the room as he pulled the blankets up to his chest and propped those deliciously stony arms behind his head.

       He had switched out of his jeans from earlier for a pair of basketball shorts and a t-shirt. It was the most relaxed I had ever seen him, and it only made the urge to wrap my heart up in a bunch of bows and hand it directly to him grow.

       "I can never sleep. Don't know why." His voice was all wobbly from a yawn, and those chestnut eyes closed as his arms flexed behind his head. I laid quietly beside him, the covers clutched to my chest as I tried to blink up at his beautiful face through the darkness as best I could.

       Rex Turner was falling asleep in my bed.

       My bed.

       "Hey Rex?"

       "Hm?"

       "Where were you at lunch today?"

       There was silence for one brief moment before he let out a ragged sigh. "I just had... something to take care of. I'm sorry I wasn't there." His tone was soft, but I could tell the unease he was trying to hide. I wasn't going to push him though. If he didn't want to tell me, I wasn't going to make him.

       "It's okay. Goodnight T'." I murmured quietly up at him as I let go of the covers to cup the pillow beneath my cheek.

       "Goodnight, Roza."

-&-

       There was a warmth beneath my cheek that chased away the chill in the air. My fingers clutched at the soft material between them as something gentle brushed through my hair. I snuggled further into the comforting warmth, it kept that always jumbling mass of emotional horrors away.