Chapter 48

Hey guys, so it might be slowing down a bit after this update. I've rewritten the next two chapters once already and I'm still not satisfied with it. Might be another day or so of rewriting until I am. BUT you guys def deserve a third update for dealing with my absence hehe

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 48

       "Luce, does Tate know about dad?" I asked my sister the next day as we sat around our small kitchen table eating crummy Chinese take-out.

       I thought it would be nice to come home for their first day back, even though Tate high-tailed it to some dinner he had promised to be at, but it was actually kind of nice with just Luce and I. We hadn't had a 'family dinner' in as long as I could remember, and I forgot how much I missed my sister when she wasn't yelling about school or Rex.

       Those electrifying blue eyes of hers flickered briefly from the noodles clutched between her chopsticks and down again. "Yeah, but we've been dating for a while, Rosie. He was bound to find out eventually." She shrugged her slender shoulders like it was no big deal, though her gaze could no longer hold mine. "Why do you ask?"

       I dropped my gaze back to the beef and broccoli in the little paper box and stabbed chopsticks absently at the food. "Did dad ever offer him a job?" My voice came out a lot softer than I meant for it to, but she didn't seem to notice.

       "Not that I know of. I don't even think he's ever been to Evans Corp. Why? Everything okay?" I could practically feel those blue eyes staring holes into the side of my face.

       I never told her about asking dad to bail Rex out of trouble, or anything about him really. I knew she didn't like him, and I feared starting an argument anytime I brought him up. But she was the only one I could talk to, besides Jax—though he didn't understand our father like we did.

       "I-It's about Rex." I finally admitted on a sad little sigh and pushed the food out of the way. I hadn't had an appetite since that conversation with our father, much to Rex's disapproval. He had been trying to force food on me all day at school, which was a little awkward since I couldn't find it in me to talk to him much. He understood without me having to say anything, but I knew he wasn't happy about the fact.

       "I know you hate him, but you're the only one who understands." I mumbled miserably to the table, and crossed my arms over my chest so my hands wouldn't be tempted to tear up the napkin fidgetily.

       Luce sighed, though unlike me, she shoved more noodles in her mouth before speaking. "I don't hate him, Rose. I want what's best for you, and he only seems to be a distraction to your future." Her tone was gentle enough, but that didn't stop the heavy rock from settling deep in my stomach. She didn't understand that he was my future. The only one I wanted to have at least.

       I kept that thought to myself though. Luce was always preaching about grades and good colleges, which was all nice and everything but I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I wasn't good at anything, besides swimming, and the occasional puzzle. It wasn't like I was crazy smart with a million opportunities ahead of me like Rex. I would be lucky getting a secretary job until I figured out what I wanted to do with my life.

       "That's not true. He helps me study and takes care of me, and dad likes him." I pointed out, even though that was the whole reason I was in this position to begin with.