Chapter 8

SCHOOL TIME Y'ALL (THIRD PERSON) - This part is just what a bunch of people are doing at the same time so bare with me guys - it is basically just an intro so don't put too much thought into it if it doesn't make sense - it will not matter.

Eliza was in the music classroom at the piano writing her song. She hummed the tune and played the keys, smiling at what she had came up with.

Alex was practicing the song in a locked room, James heard him and tried to investigate, but could not get in.

John was in the bathroom, practicing the same song, as Thomas came in. John hides and narrowly avoids Thomas.

Alex and John both take turns rehearsing with Eliza.

TIME SKIP- GYM

Coach Washington blew his whistle while running a drill with the guys. "Let's go, guys! Make it sharp! To the chest, come on! Pop it! Come on, guys. Step with it! Let's go!" He got over to Lafayette. " Come on, move it! Let's go! Come on guys, focus! Focus! Get your head in the game! Move it!" He got over to Burr, "You seen Troy?"

"No... Coach," Burr responded nervously.

"Again, let's go," Washington said blowing his whistle again.

MEANWHILE IN AUDITORIUM

Alex was painting a set to help with the musical, while John was helping to sew a costume. They both looked at each other and began moving to the beat of the song in their minds, until Mr. George walked over and gave them a stern look.

GYM (Alex's pov)

"That's it, guys. Let's hit the showers," Coach Washington said, "Good hustle. Let's see that in the game."

As the rest of the team was leaving, I snuck into the gym. Laff shoved the ball into my stomach as he passed, and my dad did not look very happy. There was an uncomfortable silence between us, but neither of us were willing to look each other in the eye.

"I, uh... think I'm gonna stay a while. Work on some free throws," I told him.

"Well, since you missed practice, I think your team deserves a little effort from you today," he said sternly, before leaving the gym. I looked over my shoulder and saw John in the doorway. He looked so cute.

"Wow. So this is your real stage," he grinned at me, walking over to where I was standing.

"Yeah. I guess you could call it that. Or just a smelly gym," I said chuckling at his wording. I handed the ball to John, who shot the ball and made the basket, impressing me.

"Whoa! Don't tell me your good at hoops, too,"I laughed at him.

"You know, I once scored 41 points on a league championship game," he bragged.

"No way," I gaped at him.

"Mm-hm. Yeah, and in the same day, I invented the space shuttle and microwave popcorn," he smiled.

"Oh! Microwave popcorn. Ha-ha. Funny," I laughed sarcastically at him. I shot the ball and made another great basket, before turning back to John.

"I've been rehearsing with Liza," he told me.

"Me, too. And, um, by the way, I missed practice. So if I get kicked off the team it should be on your conscience," I said to him.

"Hey, I wasn't the one who told you to sing..." he said crossing his arms, and getting a bit defensive.

"John, chill," I said becoming playful. He then decided to take the ball away from me.

"Hey, that's traveling," I yelled as he continued to run, "No that's really bad traveling."

"What? What?" He laughed running around some more. I ran up behind him and picked him up, spinning him as he giggled. I heard a door close and put him down.

"Sir, I'm sorry, this is a closed practice," my dad told John.

"Dad, come on, practice is over," I said taken aback.

"Not till the last player leaves the gym. Team rule," he stated sternly. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, sir," John apologized.

"Um, Dad, this is John Laurens," I told him.

"Ah, your detention buddy," he responded rudely. John's warm smile faded as he handed the ball back to me.

"I'll see you later, Alex. Nice meeting you, Coach Washington," he said, running out of the gym.

"You as well, Mr. Laurens," my dad called after him in a monotone voice. We waited until John was out of earshot to continue our conversation.

"Dad, detention was my fault, not his," I explained to him.

"You haven't missed practice in three years. That boy shows up..." he trailed off.

"That boy is named John. And he's very nice," I told him.

"Well, helping you miss practice doesn't make him very nice. Not in my book. Or your team's," He stated firmly.

"Dad, he's not a problem. He's just a guy," I said raising my voice.

"But you're not just a guy, Alex," he yelled. "You're the team leader. What you do effects not only this team, but the entire school. And without you completely focused, we're not gonna win next week. The championship games - they don't come along all the time. They're something special," he spoke softer this time.

"Yeah, well a lot of things are special, Dad," I said.

"But you're a playmaker... not a singer, right son?" He asked me.

"Did you ever think maybe I could be both?" I yelled. He had no answer, he just stared at me, I dropped the ball and walked away, leaving the gym. 

little did they know the team was eavesdropping... XD

"What?" Burr asked shocked.

"Let's go," Lafayette told his other teammates, as they all started to walk off.