Chapter 42 Seraph

Despite the conversation that Raphael and I had yesterday ringing in my head, I have a huge smile plastered on my face. I sit in front of the mirror working on my make up for the dance. I quickly finish and start on my hair. I'm so absorbed in what I'm doing I don't notice Raphael coming up behind me.

"You don't have to look perfect you know," he says.

I glance at him in the mirror. "Aren't you going to get ready?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes, "Do I look like a girl to you? I shower, comb my hair and get dressed. What's your excuse?"

"Seriously? There's so much I still have to do before tonight," I insist. "What are you doing here anyway?"

Raphael holds up a small knife. A few weeks ago and I would have flinched, maybe tried to attack him. But now I know that he wouldn't hurt me. "I brought you this," he says, walking closer.

"And what is that for?" I ask.

Raphael rolls his eyes. "Did you pay attention to anything we talked about yesterday? If I remember correctly you were usually really good at hiding something small like this in your boot," he hands it over to me hilt first. "You didn't honestly think I got you boots just for kicks did you?"

I smile and take it slowly. "Thanks, it seems you're watching out for me tonight."

He shakes his head. "I'm giving you that so you can take care of yourself. But no one knows her better than me, so I'll be watching out for Tony because if there's one thing I taught her it's to go for the human."

My smile falters, "You don't think I'm going to make it out of this do you?"

"I think you can hold your own. And I think you're running late on getting ready for the dance so I think I'll let you get back to it," he tells me with a small smirk and slowly backs out of the room.

I sit for a minute, unsure what just happened. Eventually I get back to doing my hair. Because of my choppy and short hairstyle there's only so much that I can do. But after having done some research the past few days I found something I wanted to try. I separated out my front bangs so I wouldn't accidentally use them. Then carefully took small sections from each side and twisted them, pulling them back and pinning them behind my head. I continue this routine until I can't anymore. I take what is left and carefully twist it into a very small and messy bun at the base of my neck. I take what little I didn't pull back or wouldn't stay and curl it just a little. When I finish I look in the mirror, satisfied I move on.

I go to my room, making sure not to forget the knife Raphael just gave me, and pull out my dress and tights and boots. I slowly get dressed into my tights and dress and sit down on the bed to put my boots on. I pull on the boots and debate about where to put the knife. After some deliberation, and a few tests, I decide to put it in my left boot, strapped to my calf against the inside of my leg. With that over I look through my closet for a shawl to put over my shoulders so I won't be cold for the walk to school.

Just as I pull the black shawl over my shoulders and look myself over in the mirror there's a knock at my bedroom door. I turn as it opens to reveal Raphael. He is dressed in black jeans, a dark red dress shirt that was unbuttoned at the top a bit with the sleeves unbuttoned and rolled up to his forearms, and a black vest that he left unbuttoned completely, and a black tie hung untied around his neck. His hair is combed nicely, no snarls or tangles seen, and it is still slightly damp from the shower he probably just took. He leans against the doorway with his hands in his pockets and a smirk on his face.

"Like what you see Halo?" He asks.

I roll my eyes and retort, "I'm not your date remember?"

He snorts a short laugh under his breath. "Ready? It's time for dinner." He motions over his shoulder with his head.
I nod and follow him out. We had a greed to have dinner at Tony's house before the dance. So Raphael and I walk together across the street to Tony's house. I ring the doorbell and we wait patiently for someone to answer it.

We didn't have to wait long because the door opens and Tony stands there. He's wearing grey dress pants, a blue dress shirt with a black tie, a grey vest finishes his ensemble. His blonde hair is combed neatly out of his face and styled to stay there. He smiles when he sees them.

Opening the door further to let them in he motions for them to enter, "Hey guys, come on in. Dinner's about ready."

They follow him into the dining room where his family waits to greet them. Tony makes introductions and everyone gets seated before dinner is served.

I savor this tiny piece of human normalcy. It's probably the only bit I will ever get for a very long time. The small talk is nice and friendly, I can forget about the warnings Raphael has given me for a while and just relax for a few minutes. It's a nice feeling, and I should take advantage of it while I can.