Chapter 14 Raphael

I've been testing her for years. Seven years to be exact. I've had this mission for twelve years now, seven of which I've spent testing the limits of this new guardian and I've gotten nowhere. I'm so frustrated. I've tried everything from parlor tricks and curses to elemental manipulation and near death experience and tragedies.

I've finally had enough. The way to finish this is to stop going after the little human and to just get it over with. She's the target, not her human, after all. I'm tired of testing her ability to protect, it's time to see what she can really do.
Her human is walking home from school today, and she's right behind him. I reach down to the sheath on my leg and pulled out a knife. I smile as I feel the familiar weight of the coal and metal hilt that's scratched and marked up from all of its use. The metal of the blade is made from the cooled lava of the fire pits by my cave in Hell. I got it off of the remaining charred belongings of my former neighbor. He went on a business trip to New York and never came back. At least that's what I'm assuming since I never saw him again. But it's the best knife I have.

I twirl the blade in my hand as I watch them walking down the sidewalk from my perch in the tree at the end of the street. Yes, I hide in trees a lot. But no one looks there and there aren't trees in Hell, wrong climate.

Her human stops for a minute and bends down to tie his shoes. This is my perfect opportunity. I raise my arm and aim. I let a pulse of power through my hand and into the knife. The blade begins to glow a dangerous red. I smile and get ready to throw. It flies through the air straight and true, hitting its mark.

Her cry of pain is music to my ears when the blade hits her chest. I watch as she struggles to stay upright, turning to see where the blade came from. I see her eyes lock on me as her knees give way and she starts to fall.

I'm overly satisfied with myself. Now that this evil deed is done, I have the rest of the day off. And what better way to unwind than to take a nice relaxing trip around the world, and cause chaos to hundreds of lives. I love my job sometimes.

I take one last long look at the gloriously happy scene before me, memorizing it. Another happy memory to take with me on my travels. Then I smile and leave my perch for the grey clouds in the distance so I can use it as my first form of transportation. Nothing like a rain cloud to get you started on your journey.