Chapter 12 Seraph

I keep my face blank and expressionless as I watch the words being written in the air. Whoever this Fallen is they aren't afraid to show evidence of their presence. Though from the message it is clear that they are not willing to be seen just yet. From what I've learned and heard, this is unusual behavior. They must be after something.

But what are they after. And why are they waiting so long. Patience is a virtue, isn't that what the humans say? But the Fallen have no virtues, they only have fear and the seven deadly sins. They have nothing. I pity them. How terrible it must be to have your life hold no meaning. To have no peace in life and no certainty. And there is certainly no love in such an existence. How could one possibly bare it? Without these things life and existence become meaningless and optional. And that's a terrible existence.

I've never once voiced these thoughts to any living creature. If any angel, Righteous or Fallen, heard these thoughts I would be marked as defective and either have my wings clipped and forced to climb up a deadly never ending mount or I would be cast into the burning pits of the center of Hell. That is why me being the way that I am is so dangerous. My own thoughts are a death sentence. All because I do not think like the ancient traditions have drilled into every angel from walking to death. Not that this bothers me anymore, but still being different makes for such a chasm that my friends are few and far between.

The writing of the fiery words finishes and pulls me out of my thoughts to read the complete message. And when I do anger and frustration boil in me but I keep my face as blank as before. I suppose that I will have to be patient to meet this threat face to face.

"If you're not going to be helpful then please leave. I'm sure you know the way." I attempt to keep my tone polite but when I hear my voice I know I failed in that attempt. There's also a soft chuckle from the darkest shadow in the room. And then it's gone. And the shadow lightens somewhat as if the thing trapping the extra darkness within it left.
I run over that description in my mind, thinking of how absurd it sounds. But I'm not crazy, that laugh should be proof that I'm not crazy and talking to an empty room. I glance at the words one last time. Soon we'll meet, and the game will be up. The words dance in front of me, taunting me. Their fire flickers one last time and then goes out. The only proof of the word's existence is the smoke the fire leaves behind.

The door to the room I'm recovering in opens and in walk Grey. "What are you doing up? You should be resting," he gently pushes me back down until I'm on my back again and fusses over me like a mother hen. I roll my eyes when he isn't looking. Who would've though Grey would get all motherly.

The door opens again and a woman I don't recognize steps in. An angel woman. This must be Hope. She looks at me and smiles, "Finally decided to rejoin the land of the living I see." Her teasing is surprisingly appreciated as she releases some of the tension in the room. Grey glares at her for that comment. She ignores him and comes to sit by me. "Your turn to take the night watch. I'll sit with her. I hadn't realized how late it had gotten. But it is night. Grey opens his mouth to argue but she cuts him off, "You have been pushing it on us for the past few months. It's your turn now that she's awake."

This only causes Grey to glare even harder at her. She rolls her eyes and looks at me, "Don't mind him, he's just grumpy." I manage a smile in return. "Grey grumpy? Imagine that." She raises an eyebrow at me, "Grey?" I laugh and, though it hurts, am grateful for it. "Yeah y'know, as in grey feathers."

She laughs so freely. "You call him old? Oh I bet he just loves that." She looks over at Grey's brooding face. I smile, "He doesn't mind actually." She gives me a shocked look and I can't hold back the laugh that bubbles up despite the pain. She quickly joins me. I've never realized how nice it is to just relax and laugh with someone else. I didn't realize that there are still Righteous women who aren't all like Jericho or my cousin.

Grey mutters an excuse and slips out of the room. As soon as the door closes she stops laughing. "So dear, I'm Hope. Grumpy's sister-in-law. But I'm sure he's already told you that." She scoots closer to me, leaning in almost eagerly. "He's different now. You might not have noticed, but he's almost happier. You've changed him. You should've seen him when I found you two at the wreck. I never thought I'd see the day Joshua went all mother hen. Even more than when he's with his nephews. Their grown now but that's beside the point." She stops to take a breath and looks as though she's thinking about what to say next.

"Nephews? I ask. Grey doesn't talk about his past. Or maybe he just doesn't talk about his family. She laughs, "What? Let me guess, he never said a word about his family?" I don't answer, she doesn't give me the chance, "Yes, nephews. He has three. They're his little sister's kids. She didn't waste any time. Barely a year out with one and she announces she's got another coming, course we didn't know at the time it was twins, poor girl. She's almost twenty years younger than Grey. But that's a story for another day." Her eyes get a far off look and she half smiles when she tells me all this. I'm not sure if I believe any of it, it's so hard to picture Grey as any younger or different or actually having a family.
Then a thought comes to me. "Why doesn't he like you very much?" She seems surprised by the question, but not confused. She obviously knows what I'm talking about.

After a moment of silence between us she sighs, collapsing into herself. "It has to do with his brother. We were on mission together. There was a highway accident. His person didn't make it. And his brother, Silver, got really hurt in the accident. I had to call it in. His wings are clipped for good. He can't fly. I was supposed to help him. I didn't. I didn't know how to cope. I knew he really needed the support but he wasn't the only one who had to adjust. So I made a request that me and Joshua switch roles. He came back to take care of his brother and I went back to work because I didn't know what else to do. If I could take it all back I would, I swear. But only the highest ranking angels can meddle with time. I let my husband down. He feels so terrible about his disability that even though he can still work and do everything. He's ashamed. It's my fault." Her shoulders shake by the time she's done. I think she's crying. I don't know what to say. I don't know how to comfort her. I've never seen a broken angel before, and it's slightly terrifying. And proof that even the most resilient beings in existence can get their spirits broken in life, and not by some mighty enemy or a force we can prevent, but by life. And that's terrifying.

Wings that Guard Meजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें