Chapter 7 Raphael

I follow them on their fun little outing. They seem so eager to get out. I guess I would be too if I was stuck inside all the time. But I have the luxury of freedom. I'm not chained to a human. I watch as the arrive at the park and rush around in their eagerness. Now is the perfect time to strike. If I'm going to see what she is willing to do then I better test the waters.

    I pull in some power to my hand and weave a blessed little curse for the squirt. The best way to test this new Guardian is to threaten her precious fragile little human. The easiest way to do that is to write him a little curse. Nothing too major, just making his life full of trouble and pain. Once I'm satisfied with the rolling magic in my palm that contains the curse I've so elegantly composed I bring my arm back and throw the curse at the child.

    To my extreme irritation she notices the curse before it hits him. She wraps him in the protective embrace of her wings. But lucky me, her back is exposed when she does this. I draw another pulse of power to my palm and make a quick spell. Then I send it to its mark, right between her wings. I watch her crumple but still struggle to stay awake and able to protect her precious boy.

    My mouth stretches into an evil grin as I hear the old angel call her name when the curse hits her human and she collapses in a heap on the ground. Now I just sit back and enjoy as she deals with being helpless to protect her little human from what I've just forced into his life.

    I watch as the older angel rushes to her in a panic and carries her away from the playing children. I count the minutes as the seconds tick by. Any ordinary angel would be out for almost ten minutes from a blow like that. And it's going to leave one ugly scar. A grin spreads across my face at the thought.

    The time ticks by in an agonizingly slow pace. Until it hits six and a half minutes. Because that's when she wakes up. And after a few exchanged words between her and the older guy she sits up. She should be in screaming pain, she should not be sitting up. The only comfort to me is the nasty burn on her back between her wings. I see the set in her jaw as he treats her wound as best he can. And I feel when my curse finally has found the opportune time to strike first. But she feels it too. In a flash she is at his side and wrapping him in her protective wings again to protect him from the untimely fall. She saves him from the first blow of the curse.

    "Well well well, it seems you are tougher than you look little Righteous. You may have won this one, but I have plenty more tricks up my sleeve. This isn't over yet."