Chapter 5 Seraph

My attention is drawn to the window when I catch sight of a smoldering object bounce off the window of the room I'm in with Tony. I see the twig hit the window and fall to the ground, a trail of smoke following it.

    But it's not natural. And though I've never seen this power in person before I know what it is. My eyes flash to the tree outside the window, the only place the twig could have come from. I can't see the figure that I know is taking refuge in the shadows of the branches. But I know they are there, whoever they are. And they aren't human.

    An evil is sitting outside this window. It's watching me. I sensed it the moment it showed up. But I'm not going to let it win. No matter the challenge it will present I will make it my life long goal to not let it win.

    I know I'm supposed to report any and all sightings of a Fallen. But I have no tangible proof, they would never believe me. Besides, if I'm such an independent thinker, such a big deal, then I don't need a team of back up to take care of one Fallen. We are winning the war anyway.

    I've been here for five years now, making me one hundred and twenty-three. Tony just turned five. And he brings so much joy to life, I know this is what I'm meant to do. Though considering the fact that the angels in my own heavenly realm are all selfish airheads and I can't stand their presence didn't give me much choice of a job. While the rest of my people are standing still in their secure fortress high above the ground the human world has changed and moved forward and needs us more than ever. And I moved forward with them. It's a new age approaching and I'm more than ready for it.

    Tony starts school soon, from what I've heard that's the hardest part of this job. There are some things we can't protect our charges from. That doesn't mean I won't try. There is really only one way to do that, but I can't do that yet.
There's a rustling in the tree outside. But there is no wind to move the branches. There are no birds to upset the leaves. Only the dark shadow that seems to be moving. I act as though this doesn't bother me in the slightest. I dare not react to the toying of the being in the shadow. But I know something is there. I'll have to consult with Grey, as that is what I'm calling the old guy, and see what he has to say about the situation. But Tony's mother is at work, Grey with her, and won't be back for an hour and a half. And though there is a sitter here with Tony, and they have a guardian, I don't trust them as much as I trust the old guy. This guardian plays things a little too close to the book for my liking. They are young too, not as young as me but still young and inexperienced. I don't trust my own kind when they are like that. Especially if I know them personally. That guardian angel is my cousin.