Balcony

"Amira, are you ready for the ball?" My mom called from outside the door.

    "In a few minutes, mother!" I responded.

Chinua stands besides me and looks in the mirror. "Girl, you have got to teach me how you do your makeup!"

    I sheepishly put my hand on my head. "Ah it's no big deal."

    Chinua shakes her head. "You really know how to change the features on your face! It's something even the makeup classes at the academy can't even teach you."

   I shrugged.

  "Where did you even learn how to do this? It's completely inventive," she marvels.

   "I just like to get creative and combine my own ingredients," I explained vaguely.

      Once I learnt how to apply makeup at the women's academy, I was fascinated by how much one can change their appearance. If I always applied makeup in my female royal persona, then I hoped my male identity would be less recognizable.

      I had to learn how to alter my face even more in a short period of time, so I bought and read some books about makeup from the market. I then created my own techniques and experimented with ingredients. But I couldn't exactly explain the whole story to Chinua so I just modestly giggled.

   "You just gotta experiment."

Chinua shakes her head. "Amira, you may barely try at school. But when you truly want to get better at something, you excel and go above and beyond."

        We finally put on our dresses and styled our hair.

"So, you know, tonight is a ball, right?" Chinua asks.

I nod. "Yeah. There will be performances by men and women. I'm excited to watch."

"There's sort of a catch. We will have to participate in the performances." She looks away.

"Wh-what? Why?"

"I requested from my dad and he thought it was outrageous for royals to participate, but he really wanted me to meet suitors. So, he finally agreed." She shrugs.

"B-but I don't know how to dance! If I knew it was gonna be like this, I would have never have agreed."

"Sorry. that's why I didn't tell you. But don't worry the dances are very simple. Just some spinning and bowing, and we don't even touch the men we're dancing with!" Chinua exclaims.

"We're gonna be dancing with men? You have got to be kidding me!" I felt like I was gonna faint.

"Don't worry! We'll be wearing masks, so we won't even know the identity of the men we're dancing with." she assures me.

I rolled my eyes. "What's the point of even doing that?"

"Amira, when I want to fall in love with someone, I want it to be for their personality. Not their status or face. This is the perfect way to do so, even if it's one night."

I raised my brow. "How did the King even agree to this?"

"It took me awhile, but I have my ways. I am the sole princess of the kingdom, overall." She winks.

"But you do realize status is important, right Chinua?" I pointed out. "The King wouldn't let you marry any average Joe."

Chinua nods. "Everyone at the party will be wealthy. It'll be a mix of royals and other upperclass men. But none of them will know i'm the princess. It's only for one night- what could go wrong, anyways?"