0.19.0

Thank you all for your amazing support! Seriously, you guys keep me writing! I'm really enjoying telling John and Kai's story and I hope you continue to enjoy it as well.

Happy Reading!

><><
The Storm
><><

The storm was coming. Every single member of the science teams had been brought together to work out how to generate enough power for the shield so the entire city wouldn't be destroyed by the storm surge. Atlantis was going to take a direct hit from the massive hurricane.

Kai had been working in the conference room for five hours already, but they only had another seven until the storm hit. None of the other teams seemed to be having much luck either. She had been working on a program to see if they could draw power from the jumpers, but so far she hadn't been able to figure out how to convert the energy. She was afraid she wasn't much help beyond that. Her knowledge of the cities systems was limited and no one other than Zelenka stood even a remote chance of keeping up with McKay. She sat back in her chair and scrubbed at her eyes. Her shift had nearly been over when the call came in for them to meet in the conference room and she was exhausted.

Ford and Sheppard strode into the room still wearing their combat gear. "Well," Sheppard said stopping in front of McKay's work station. "We've got a green light from Smeadon and the Manarians. I'm not sure how pleased he'll be if we get stuck there, though."

Everyone in the room shifted uncomfortably at the prospect of having to do a full evacuation to an alien planet. Kai was familiar with the Manarians. She had done some work on their planet during their last change of government. They didn't have much for advanced technology, but they were a complex society who would no doubt do what they needed to take care of their own. She personally wasn't inclined to trust them.

Sheppard waited a beat before he cast a look towards McKay. "That's not going to happen, right?"

"No, of course not. We can always gate off to another planet," McKay said distractedly without looking up from his screen.

"Comforting, thank you," Sheppard replied sarcastically as he perched on the edge of McKay's desk to look over the rest of the teams who were hard at work. "Anyone coming up with anything?"

"Well, we're-" McKay started to say.

"Not really no," Zelenka supplied.

Ford cleared his throat. "Are we sure there's no part of the mainland we could go to?"

Teyla and Weir walked in. Kai surpressed her sigh of frustration. She and the rest of the teams were trying to work. Having their meeting in here was just going to slow down the process.

Teyla sat down beside Major Sheppard. "Everywhere we have explored is in the path of the storm. No where is safe. My people are evacuating even now," she explained.

Sheppard frowned, crossing his arms over his chest. "Still, Ford's right, the mainland is the size of North America. You're telling me the entire continent is going to get hit? Because I'd rather not owe Smeadon any favors."

"If we lose Atlantis we'd be stuck on the mainland with no access to a star gate," Weir pointed out.

"Well, McKay will come up with something," Sheppard said pointedly.

McKay groaned dramatically. "I will try, but despite what you all may think, I'm not Superman."

The whole room went still. Sheppard raised his eyebrows in disbelief as he looked around at the group. "Was anyone seriously thinking that?" he couldn't help but ask.