Chapter Eight

*Coryn's POV* 

I drove silently, chewing on the inside of my cheek while the boys goofed off in the back of my Ford Explorer. It was a little cramped with the seven of us plus Ed's luggage squished into it but the boys demanded that they came with us. And by a little cramped, I meant there was absolutely no room for all the bickering and random slaps. Sighing heavily, I switched lanes and managed to tilt my head to the left just as Niall's elbow flailed right by where my head once was.

Ed laughed from his position in the passenger seat and reached over to give me a reassuring squeeze on my knee. "You know, love, I think you're gonna miss me a lot more that you thought." 

I shoot him a dirty look but stayed silent. But this didn't really surprise him. I hadn't spoken much at all since he woke up and found me standing over his pile of packed bags, a frown forming on my lips. He was right, of course. There was no way that I could even pretend like I wouldn't miss him. He was my best friend, after all. And a year was a long time. My thoughts were momentarily sidetracked as there was a thud on the back of my seat and then simultaneous groans from Lou and Harry. I looked up to see them both wincing in pain as they readjusted themselves into their seats. I sighed again. A very very long time.

This was it. The moment that I hadn't really thought too much about since I told him he had to go on tour. And now, here we were, all smushed together like sardines taking him to the airport to do just that. I could feel the lump in my throat gradually building as we got closer and closer to his terminal. It was like the boys could sense my approaching emotional breakdown because they quieted down, sitting crushed together in the back two rows. Ed could feel it too because he quickly took my hand in his and held onto it tightly until we were parked. 

We all awkwardly stood outside the car as Ed checked and rechecked his carryon bag, making sure he had his passport, ticket, and necessary chargers in case his luggage was lost somewhere in transit. I still stayed quiet, not trusting myself to speak even as he hugged all the guys good by and gave them strict instructions on how to watch me. He looked at me expectantly, knowing that that of all conversations would piss me off and make me respond. But, no. I couldn't. There was no way that I would argue with anything he said today. Plus, I didn't quite trust my voice at the moment.

He walked over to me and wrapped his arms loosely around my body and rested his chin on the top of my head. "Be good, babe. I love you. I miss you already," he whispered, his voice barely audible.

I buried my head into his chest and took a deep breath, inhaling as much of his scent as possible. "Don't go," I mumbled as I pulled him closer to me. So, this was what it was like being vulnerable and not caring. 

Ed's chest rumbled as he laughed bitterly and pulled away from. He lifted my chin with two fingers so that I was forced to look at him. "It's a little too late for that, don't you think?" He sighed and kissed my forehead. "I should probably get going. Take care, alright? I want you to be at least five times better than how I left you." 

I nodded my head meekly and watched as he lifted his duffle over his shoulder and started rolling his two suitcases to the platform. The boys piled back into the car, Harry lingering by the passenger side. I walked back towards the car and was about to get in when I spotted something under the seat. 

Grabbing it up quickly, I took off running, throwing the keys at Harry as I passed him. I kept running until I caught up with Ed, who turned around, startled to seem me. And I could understand why. I was hunched over, gasping for breath waving an unidentified item at him with no words coming out.

"You...forgot...your...wallet," I finally managed to cough out as I still struggled to get oxygen into my lungs. 

He suddenly laughed loudly and pocketed the wallet I was still frantically waving at him before lifting me into the tightest bear hug ever. Whatever air I'd been able to force into my body was completely gone now as he spun my around in circles in the middle of the airport. 

Pushing my hair behind my ear, his kissed my forehead lightly, the way he always did when we both knew it would be a while before we saw the other. "You've got to stay, okay, babe? Not just for me. For both of us. Promise me you will."

I sighed heavily and promised him, knowing he'd never sleep if I didn't. Plus, it couldn't hurt me too much, right? A ladies voice announced on the loud speakers that the flight leaving for Australia was boarding soon and I looked up in annoyance. "You'll call me every day, right? No matter what time it is?" 

He smiled down at me and nodded, both of us knowing that he wouldn't be able to even help it. "I've really got to go. I love you!" he called out as he disappeared towards where his plane was boarding. 

I stood there for who knows how long, just staring at the area where he went. An entire year. 365 days. Probably even more. How was I possibly going to make it through this? How did he expect me to stay strong if the one who helped pick me up off the ground every single time was a thousand miles away? What the hell did he want from me?

"Coryn," someone said softly.

I looked up just as Harry opened his arms to me and without even the slightest moment of hesitation, I walked into them and let him hold me tight as the sobs that I had been holding back quickly came to the surface.