Putting It Together

Not more than 20 minutes later. I opened the door to see Tom. I had a feeling that I knew what he was going to say to me.

I was right.

Once he saw my face, he grinned. "So, stranger, you kept my number."

I smirked. "Yes. I did indeed."

He smiled at me. I still couldn't look directly into his eyes, so I quickly changed the subject.

"Come on in." I said.

He stepped inside. "So, you said you have some furniture I need to put together?"

I directed him to the kitchen. "Yeah, this table. And my bed frame. If that's not too much."

"Not at all" He said. "Okay well, do you have any screw drivers? I probably need one to assemble the furniture."

Damn. I didn't have anything. "I'm sorry, I don't. But I can go to the hardware stor-"

He interrupted me with his infectious laugh. "No need. Thankfully, I came prepared." He said as he pulled out a couple of tools.

I smiled. "Thank god that you are smart."

He opened the box with the table in it. "I think you're smart."

I shook my head. "You don't know me."

He looked up to me. "True. But you called me for help, and that's smart."

I laughed.

He took out the pieces. "Oh, this isn't going to be too hard. Can you just read me the directions?" He asked.

I nodded and grabbed the sheet of directions.

-

-

After only a couple of hours, we were done with the bedframe and the kitchen table.

And all I did was read directions. He did all the work.

When we got done with the bed frame, he looked around the room. "So, you have a bed frame, and no bed?"

I laughed. "No, I have a bed. Its just out in the living room."

He stood up. "Well, we may as well put the bed into the bed frame. And make it all complete."

He grabbed the mattress. I took one side of it and we laid it into the bed frame.

"All set." He looked at me. "Aren't you going to try it out?"

I laughed. "Now?"

He shrugged his shoulders, casually. "Why not?"

I grinned at him. Then let myself fall onto the bed. It was, like laying on a cloud. Better than a hard wood floor.

He smiled. "Did we build a good bed frame?"

I sat up and nodded. "Yes, I think we did. Or should I say you did. All I did was read you directions."

He walked over to the side of the bed. "That's a very important Job. We'll just say it was a team effort."

I smiled. "Deal... Would you like to try it out?" Asking that, made me feel a bit awkward.

Tom didn't seem to take much offence to it. He sat down beside me on the bed, and laid back. "Very comfortable. Good team work, stranger."

I laughed. "Why do you keep calling me that?"

"Calling you what?" He asked.

"Stranger." I said.

He sat back up and looked at me. "Because, I don't know anything about you. I only know that your name is Ariana, and that you moved to London for a New Start."

I looked at him confused. "Well, I don't know who you are either."

He grinned. "Would you want to get to know me?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I would."

He stared into my eyes. I suddenly realized that we were in my bedroom, on my bed. This is not how I imagined this night turning out.

Before I could even say a word. Toms phone began to ring.

He stood up. "Just a second." He said to me.

He walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen, talking on the phone.

I sighed with relief. I just dodged a very awkward situation.

I got up and left the bedroom. Just as I got into the kitchen, Toms phone call ended.

He walked over to me. "I'm sorry stranger, I have to go."

I nodded. "Its alright. Thank you for everything."

He grinned. "You are very welcome. I love doing manual labor for you."

I laughed. "I'm sorry."

He smiled. "Don't apologize. I'm really happy that you called."

He took his jacket and headed for the door. "So, you do want to get to know me?"

I nodded. "Yeah. You seem like a nice guy."

He grinned. "Okay, goodnight."

"Goodnight" I replied.

Before he shut the door, he looked back to me and gave me a wink. "Enjoy the bed."

I blushed. I didn't even want to know what he meant by that.