Chapter 8

All I want is to pound someone's face in. My demon screams at me, a savage beast. It wants to be freed. I find it harder and harder to restrain myself from attacking as anger, and probably alcohol, pumps through my veins. I'm so fucking ready.

I can see the smirk on Orion's lips. He leans back in his seat, folding his arms behind his head like he's at a theatre. His shirt lifts at the corner, exposing nothing but his open spine.

A strong hand grips Odessa's arm.

"Enough," Rowan's voice is nothing but pure command. His black eyes bore into his younger siblings head. A clear warning to proceed pretty freaking careful.

Odessa snarls at Rowan and he squeezes harder. So hard I think her arm might snap but her bones must be stronger than steel.

Something soft touches my wrist. Rosella looks at me with her milky white eyes.

"Scarlet, please sit," her voice pleads with me to act rationally.

Rosella turns her head to look at Odessa, glaring at her with deadly meaning but I know what she's done. Her horn presses into my upper arm. With a grip on my wrist and the point of her horn against my arm, if I were to lunge forward she will make sure her horn pierces my flesh.

"Sit. Now," Rowan demands. I can see him tighten his grip even further as fire leaks through the cracks on his skin.

Odessa stiffens like hardened metal, her bones creaking under the pressure of his hand. When Rowan says something, he expects it to be followed and we all know he's more than happy to deal out harsh punishments.

Wrath pumps its burning lava through my veins. I want to lunge at Odessa. Rosella's horn will tear my flesh but I'm sure I'll still be able to throw Odessa through the window behind us. Rowan will probably fry my brains out but it'll be worth it.

I tense to jump but Odessa surprises me. With a huff, she plonks her ass down. My eyes widen but I quickly mask my features. How disappointing. I didn't even get to bitch slap her. The crowd goes back to dancing and drinking, pretending as if nothing happened.

A tug on my wrist indicates for me to follow. I don't miss the angered glare Rosella shoots me. Her eyes narrow and lips pull into a line. As soon as I step out of this ballroom, I'm going to have to brace myself for the hour long lecture that's coming my way.

She slightly, but noticeably, shakes her head. I don't know why a pinch of guilt hits me but Rosella always seems to have that motherly effect.

Desperately trying to avoid Rosella's heated look, my eyes catch someone in the crowd.

Finally.

I excuse myself from the table. Nobody should mind especially since I'm giving Odessa space to cool down. On the outside, she currently looks calm and collected. On the inside, however, she has probably murdered me several times over in her head and I'm sure she has thought of some very creative ways. Her hatred knows no bounds.

I walk towards the left of the ballroom. Glass almost frames the entirety of the wall, letting moonlight glide through. On the other side is a huge, grand staircase that leads down into the palace's public gardens.

I catch Dem's eye and flick my head to the gardens. Getting the picture, he pushes his way passed nobility to follow. As soon as I open the glass doors and step through, I fill my lungs with fresh air. The breeze is warm but soothing like softly flowing water. The tension leaves my body and I relax letting the remaining bits of negativity leave.

"You seemed fired up. I must have missed some action," Demtorious says.

I smile, "Unlucky for you."