Chapter 9

It's funny. How one moment your on top of the world, soaring higher than any eagle like your untouchable.

And then the next, your falling. Hitting rock bottom with such a force it crushes you like a grape.

I've gone numb. I can't feel anything but the pain that has spread through my chest and wrapped itself around my heart.

Back slumped against the wall, I sit on the mattress in my room. It's torn and ripped, deep gashes racked through the material with stuffing pushing out of the holes. My mirror barely hangs on the wall, its shattered pieces scattered across the room. The window is cracked, my clothes litter the floor in shreds, the candles no longer glow having been snapped.

The rest of my chambers don't look any better. Chunks of the balcony are missing right after the broken glass doors. Burnt patches splotch the carpets from hellfire tearing through them. The chandeliers no longer hang from the roof but are stranded on the ground like beached whales and the couch has seen better days. Slashed then pegged at the chipped walls. Decorative ornaments went straight off the balcony with no regard for whoever was unlucky enough to be below.

Last night, after I was returned to my room, I had lost it, completely flipping my shit. Anger had swarmed me and I let it. I took my rage out on anything. Gone are the once lavish rooms, now turned into war zones. Mini, the little demon who lives in my chambers, had evacuated immediately. I had never seen her run so fast.

The only thing that remains untouched is my art studio. Not a finger print lies on the doors or beyond as I couldn't bring myself to destroy what I have been creating almost my whole life.

Then straight after the chaos, had come the questions.

Who killed him? Why did they kill him? What did he fucking do wrong? What did I do to deserve this? How did they break into Hell?

And on and on the they went, each one a brutal stab. Harder and harder to figure out they became, so I emptied all thoughts from my head.

I still can't believe he's gone. He left me. He left me all alone.

I don't know how long I sat next to his dead body. Probably hours. It's all a haze. I remember someone finding us. A gardener I think. After I was taken inside to my siblings, thanking whatever forces were at work that the ball had finished. They had been shocked to say the least.

Novak, being the dumb ass that he was, laughed. Laughed at my agony and the tears that welled from my eyes. He thought I was nothing but a walking joke but he wasn't laughing when I was through with him.

Not thinking, I had lunged. Hurt turning into complete and utter wrath. My talons went straight into his empty eye sockets and tore downwards. I remember Novak's wails as I ripped open his cheeks, his blood still staining my hands.

Orion had pushed us apart and I collapsed, crying till my eyes felt like deserts, before Rowan scooped me up and took me to my chambers, Rosella squeezing my hand as he walked.

I look sideways, seeing myself in the reflection of the mirror that barley grips the wall. I can hardly recognise myself. Hair a total disgrace with puffy eyes and cheeks stained red from tears. If he was here, he would have hugged me and told me to get a grip.

But he's not and he never will be.

I had never understood heartbreak. Had never grown attached enough to anyone else to experience it with all the misery and weeping and then more misery.

Now I understand. It's like blunt knives have been shoved into the depths of your heart as your lungs cave in and collapse. You're eyes decide to put on a water work display while your brain is stuck on repeat.