lost my chance

Alana's POV

"Come on, babe," Tyler said. "You know you can't resist me. I want you back."

I froze. Was he serious? After all the shit he put me through, he really thought I needed him?

I shook my head. "Tyler, you could not be more wrong," I said. "I don't need you, but you clearly need me."

"Look, I made mistakes, hasn't everyone? But I want you back. I want us, the way we used to be," Tyler said, looking at me.

"You threw that all away when you decided that hooking up with Paige mattered more to you than being loyal to me," I said. 

"She means nothing to me. Come on, I miss you. I miss us. Don't you?" Tyler asked.

"No, I don't," I stated honestly. 

Tyler leaned in closer. "You're telling me that there's not even the slightest chance that you may actually still like me?" Tyler asked and I thought about it. 

"Yes, I am," I said honestly. "I don't want you anymore. Maybe my answer would've been different if you had asked me that question months ago, but not now."

"What changed?" Tyler asked. 

"I met someone else, someone who changed my life and made me realize that I didn't need you," I admitted. "I'm finally over you."

"You can't be over me, you loved me," Tyler said. "Feelings that strong don't just disappear."

"You're right, they don't, not easily at least. But over time, they do. Honestly, I'm glad that they did because I opened my eyes and realized who really mattered to me," I said.

"Oh really? And who is that?" He asked.

"Dean," I said. "He means more to me than you ever did, and I'd be stupid to ruin something that great because of someone like you."

With that, I slammed my locker shut and turned on my heels, leaving Tyler speechless as I went around the corner and down the hall. I finally shut down the Tyler part of my life for good and I was feeling on top of the world. I needed to find Dean.

I took my phone out of my pocket and started a message to Dean.

Me: Hey, I need to talk to you.

Dean: can't, busy.

Me: Is everything ok?

Dean: please stop.

What's up with him? He's never like this. I shook my head, refusing to let it get to me. Whether he liked it or not, we were going to have this talk. 

I walked down the hall to the cafeteria and when I walked in, I looked over at my table, expecting to see him. My face formed into a frown when I realized he wasn't there. Where was he?

I walked through the rows of tables until I reached my friends. "Hey, do you guys know where Dean is? I need to talk to him," I said, sitting down next to Elle.

"He left," Mason said.

"What do you mean he left? Where'd he go?" I asked.

"I don't know, he seemed upset," Mason said, shrugging. 

"Did something happen between you two?" Elle asked.

"I didn't think so, but he's avoiding me and I don't know why," I admitted. 

"Why do you need to talk to him?" Elle asked.

"Uh, I just needed to tell him something important," I said nervously. 

"Mhm," Elle said, clearly not believing me. 

"Not the time, Elle," Mason said to her. He turned to face me. "I'd try his house, that's usually where he goes when he's upset."

"Thanks," I said as I stood up.

"Where are you going?" Elle asked.

"To Dean's house," I said. "It's important."

I left before Elle could convince me not to go. I knew she was just looking out for me and I knew I shouldn't be ditching but this was important. Something was wrong and I needed to find him. 

I walked out of the cafeteria and down the hall until I reached the main entrance. I walked out to my car and got in, pulling out of the parking lot. I drove down the road to Dean's. 

What could be up with him? Why the sudden attitude change? Was it because of last night?

I was feeling more and more nervous as I got closer to his house. I turned onto his street and drove slowly as I passed each house. I was about to pull up to his house when I saw him outside, talking to a girl who looked really pretty. I stopped the car across the street and I sat there, watching them. 

He was standing on the front steps, his back to me. She was facing him, smiling as she playfully grabbed his arm. She was clearly flirting with him and he wasn't even stopping her. I felt hurt. How could I be so stupid? 

I put the car back in drive and drove away quickly before anyone could see me. I kept driving until I reached the beach parking lot. By the time I pulled into the lot, tears were streaming down my face. 

I lost my chance.