tryouts

The rest of the day flew by. When the bell rang after ninth period, I met Dean at my locker.

"So, are you ready?" I asked as I opened my locker to put my books away. 

"I think I'm ready," Dean said, looking nervous as he leaned against the locker. 

When I finished putting my books away, I closed my locker to look at him. 

"Dean, I believe that you're going to do amazing, ok? Go out there and prove me right," I said with a smile as we walked out of the building and over towards the field where the team was. 

"Thanks, Lainey," Dean said with a smile, bringing me in for a big hug. "It means a lot."

"You're going to do great, Dean," I said before we parted. "Now, go kick some ass!" I said. 

"I'll see you after practice!" Dean called before going out onto the field. 

I decided to sit and watch the practice so I climbed up the stairs to the bleachers and sat down. I watched the guys warm up while Dean spoke with the coach. Soon, he was joining them out on the field to do some drills. Dean looked like a natural. Every single pass that Noah made to Dean was completed and I was so impressed. Ty was pretty good but he was nothing compared to Noah, and I think Dean might be as good as Noah. 

I sat there for a while and started to zone out a little. I was really happy for Dean. I knew the coach had to let him on the team once I saw Dean in action. It's crazy how much our relationship had evolved since we first met. I wasn't usually the type to let people in that easily but with Dean, it felt natural and easier. I felt like myself around him and I loved that.

He was everything I could've ever asked for in a guy friend and I was so happy to have him in my life. I still couldn't even believe that he chose me over Paige. No one, not even my ex, would have done that and Dean did that without thinking twice. I felt wanted and it felt amazing.

I looked out at the field to notice the guys in a huddle. After, they dispersed and all started walking off the field. I noticed one guy moving quickly up to the bleachers where I was and I knew right away it was Dean. 

He ran up to me, exclaiming "I made the team!"

"Dean! I'm so proud of you!" I said, as he leaned in to give me the biggest bear hug ever. We stayed like that for what felt like forever before breaking apart. 

"I have to go shower and get changed. Meet me at the car?" He asked. 

"Sure," I said with a smile. Dean quickly ran down the bleachers to the main building where the locker room was. 

I turned my attention over to the field, where a bunch of the guys stood still, staring at me. I wasn't going to think much of it until I noticed a few guys nudging Tyler. I looked at his face and I could tell he was pissed. He stormed off the field while the rest stayed there, staring. 

I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. Why was he so pissed? He had no right after everything he did to me. 

I picked up my bag and walked down the car, still incredibly pissed. I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice where I was walking until I ran into someone. I looked up and saw Noah.

"Hey bro," I said with a smile. "I see practice went well."

"Yeah, it did. Dean's a natural with incredible talent. Coach might even start him next game," he said. 

"Wow, that's amazing! I knew he would do well," I said with a smile. 

"That was quite the show you two put on in front of the whole team. Are you trying to aggravate Tyler off even more than he usually is?" Noah asked.

"What show?" I asked, until I realized what he was referring to. "Noah, you know it's not like that. Dean's just a friend and I'm happy for him."

"As for Tyler, he can go shove his ego up his ass for all I care. I don't live my life to please him," I said. 

"Ok," Noah said. "I just want to make sure you're thinking clearly and doing the right thing. I don't want you to get hurt again."

"Trust me, Noah, I'll be ok." I said with a smile as I reached out to squeeze his arm. 

"How are you getting home?" Noah asked. 

"Dean's going to give me a ride so I'll see you later," I said. Noah waved goodbye before heading into the building. 

I walked over to Dean's car and waited for a few minutes for Dean to arrive when I saw him head out of the building behind a few of his teammates. Two of his teammates passed by on their way to their cars when I heard them cat call me by whistling. I rolled my eyes in response, assholes. 

Dean arrived only a minute after and looked confused. "What was that all about?" He asked as he reached into his pocket for his keys.

"Nothing," I said. "Just some assholes trying to be funny." 

He unlocked the car and we both got in. "Thanks for the ride, by the way." I said as I closed the door behind me.

"Thanks for waiting for me to tryout," Dean said in return before turning on the car.

"You know I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm happy to be there supporting you," I said. 

"I know," Dean said. "I couldn't be more grateful for you."

In that moment, I was so incredibly glad that he was looking at the road because for the first time in a while, I blushed.