"stay away"

After sixth period, I headed to gym class. I had to change into athletic attire so I went into the locker room. I had just opened my gym locker when I felt someone's presence behind me. I turned around and immediate regretted it. 

"Well, well, well, look what we have here," Paige said, smirking. Her two friends giggled, enjoying the fact that Paige was being an absolute bitch. 

"What do you want Paige?" I asked in an annoyed tone. 

"Listen here, stay away from Dean," Paige said, causing me to roll my eyes.

"You already have Tyler, shouldn't that be enough? Or are you already bored?" I questioned, growing tired of the conversation and it only just began. 

"The only person tired in this situation was Tyler, which was why he left you for me," Paige said with a smirk. "I'm just warning you so you don't get your heart broken again."

"And why do you think that would happen again?" I questioned, crossing my arms as I prepared myself for her stupid response. 

"You and I both know that someone like Dean would never end up with someone like you. Didn't you learn your lesson with Tyler?" Paige said. That felt like a blow to the stomach. 

"I don't know what your problem with me is but I'm growing tired of it fast. Your games are childish and it's getting old, even for you," I said as I closed my locker to head to the gym. 

"Stay away from Dean or I'll make your life a living hell," Paige said, which caused me to turn on my heels and face her. 

"You already did that three months ago, there's not much more you could do to hurt me," I retorted before turning back around and walking out of the locker room. 

I walked into the gym and looked around for a familiar face when I spotted Elle. I didn't know she was in my class! I walked over to where she was sitting and her face lit up when she saw me.

"Oh my god! I didn't know we had gym together!" She squealed. "Come sit!"

I sat down next to her and leaned back against the wall, "You're never going to believe what just happened to me in the locker room."

"Spill," Elle said as she put her book back into her backpack. 

"I was in the locker room changing into athletic shorts when Paige and her minions entered. Paige threatened me to stay away from Dean and said a bunch of bullshit," I explained. "I don't know what her problem is but I'm so over it."

Elle froze and looked at me with wide eyes. "Did you stand up to Paige?"

I hesitated, "Yes..." I said. 

"OMG I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" She squealed way too loud. She hugged me and squeezed before I could even protest. I loved my best friend but sometimes she could be a little too much. 

"Elle, you can release now, I need to breathe," I said, chuckling. Elle released her grip and sat back down.

"I'm sorry! I just can't believe it, that is so unlike you," Elle said. 

"I know, she just pissed me off to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. She told me that she would make my life a living hell if I didn't stay away from Dean but she already did that, so there's not much more she could do to hurt me," I explained. 

"Wait a minute, she told you to stay away from Dean?" Elle asked.

"Yep," I responded. "Clearly Tyler isn't enough for her." 

I was a little hurt that he was so willing to throw us all away and have his 'fling' with Paige end so quickly. He hurt me without even thinking twice and it was all for nothing. 

"Oh. My. God." Elle said.

"What? What?" I questioned, very confused by my friend's sudden realization.

"She's jealous!!" Elle exclaimed. "She's jealous that Dean's into you and not her!"

"Well, first of all, Dean is not into me, we're just friends," I said, causing Elle to roll her eyes in disbelief. "And second, why would she be jealous of me? She has what I want, or wanted I guess." 

"Well aside from your amazing looks and personality, you have Dean's attention and she doesn't. She doesn't like being told 'no,' and especially not when someone's saying that to focus on you instead," Elle explained. My jaw dropped. That actually made sense, well every part except for Dean liking me. We were just friends and he knew that. 

"Elle, you're a genius," I gushed, still unbelievably dumbfounded that there was a method to Paige's madness. "I'm still pissed off that Paige's being such a bitch. There's really no need because I'm never going to get with Dean."

"Well, never say never," Elle reasoned. "You never know what could happen."

"I guess we'll have to wait and see," I said as I turned my attention to our gym teacher, who was calling everyone over to start the warm-up. 

At the end of the day, I met Noah and Dean at my locker. 

"Hey boys," I said with a smile.

"Hey Lana, I was just talking to Dean here about trying out for football," Noah said, causing my eyes to light up.

"Oh my gosh, yes! You have to help him get a spot, Noah!" I exclaimed while Dean chuckled. 

"I'm going to see what I can do since the preseason's already over, but I trust Dean's athletic ability so I think it'll go well when I talk to coach," he explained. "But anyway, that's what I came to tell you. I have practice right after school today so I can't drive you back but maybe Dean can."

"Yeah, definitely. You just have to direct me since I don't know where you live," Dean said.

"Of course, thank you for the ride," I said with a smile. 

"I have to go, I have that meeting with coach but I'll see you guys later," Noah said, waving goodbye as he headed down the hall. 

"So, are you ready to go?" Dean asked, turning to face me. 

"Yeah," I said as I closed my locker. We turned and headed down the hallway towards the exit, stepping out into the beautiful September weather. 

As we walked through the parking lot, I realized that I had no idea where we were going because I had never been in a car with Dean before. I followed his lead as we walked and eventually, we stopped in front of a black Audi. 

"Nice car," I said. "It definitely fits your personality."

Dean smiled. "Thanks Lainey," he said as he climbed into the drivers seat of the car. 

I got into the passenger seat of the car and Dean pulled out of the spot and drove through the parking lot to the exit. 

"So, where do I go now?" Dean asked while the car was stopped at a red light. 

"So, you're going to go straight for a little while until you get to the next light and then you're going to make a right," I explained as the light turned green. 

My house was only about a 10 minute drive from the high school but the ride wasn't bad when I was with Dean. We had small talk about school and our first days. I decided not to mention my encounter with Paige or seeing Tyler. When we arrived at my house, Dean pulled down the long driveway and parked the car so that I could get out.

"So, I have some work to do but do you want to meet up later?" Dean asked.

"Of course, do you want to come here?" I asked as I grabbed my backpack. 

"Sure, I'll text you when I'm on my way," he said as I opened the door and stepped out of the car.

"Ok, see you then, Dean," I said with a smile before turning to walk up the steps into my front door. 

When I walked into the house, I closed the door and ran up to my room. When I stepped inside, I shut the door behind me and slid down onto the floor with my back against the door. 

What a day.