Chapter 15

It took five days for the first noble to arrive. Elwyn had been surprised by the lack of pomp and grandeur associated with the presence of nobility. She wasn't certain, at first, if it was some wisdom leaking into the ranks of the aristocracy or simply fear. She soon learned, from further observations as the noble in question had a small altercation with a few members of the mercenary group patrolling the estate.

It was quite clear the mercs were in command of security. They'd no doubt planned even the arrivals of the aristocrats to attract as little attention as possible. The nobles were also being kept out of sight. It was smart. It just couldn't last.

Aristocrats, like all those who held money and power, were naturally arrogant and distrustful. They would all have to be present to make further decisions, especially if those decisions involved payment. It'd be the one thing no mercenary could ever talk them out of. It was the one thing Elwyn was banking on to get her victims in one place.

For her part, she'd been hunting every moment she wasn't watching the estate or resting. She'd been whittling the meat into dried strips while the rendered fats from the animals she caught were stewed with grains and local greenery into nutritious journey cakes.

It was necessary for the long run back to port and home; if they didn't have to stop for food or enter a village it'd hide their movements for a lot longer. It just meant Thaddeus wouldn't be getting a warm meal for a while, but she imagined he'd value his life more than his stomach.

Or so I surmise, he is Count Rhys' son after all. The errant thought was brushed aside as she monitored the patrol patterns before her. In the roughly tanned hide unfurled across her lap, she was making notations of the time and the patrol groups. How many came or went? Where did they walk? Where were the gaps? How often did the ambush openings appear? Were those openings one way or two? And on it went in endless rounds. That was what was required. That was what she did so very well.

Elwyn had learned, long ago, the best tactic for survival is planning. Planning required attention to detail and patience. A lot of patience. Despite Elwyn's berserker-esque fighting abilities, she'd always possessed a great deal of patience.

Another round on the outer wall. They're signaling into the inner court, once, twice, thrice, so the three below are still in sync. The signal is relayed to the towers there and there, so there must be archers exactly where I'd expect. Marksman. No point if they aren't skilled, that distance is to long for anyone who shoots wild. Elwyn made further notes and calculations on the hide with her scrap of charcoal from her fire. She glanced up, noted it'd been the appointed two hours, and gathered up her things before heading back to camp.

She left no trace behind. Not even a depression where she'd been sitting all that time. No broken branches, no disturbed leaves, nothing to advertise her presence. She'd already seen the forest patrols roll through with brisk efficiency. She didn't want them knowing she was about until it was far too late for them.

In between her notations, she'd spent time building the pieces of her traps. Choke lines and trip wires for the forest. It wouldn't take much to knock out half the patrols. What was better was the fact she wouldn't actually have to be here for it to happen. The ensuing chaos when patrols went missing would give her an opportunity to escape.

Indeed, when I'd laid that false trail they'd followed it while doubling the guard on Thaddeus. Now there's no question where my target is being held. It opened up some fine gaps in their security. Elwyn smiled as she stepped beneath a felled tree, some ancient forest giant which had been moldering for at least a year, and beneath which she'd sheltered her fire.

The fire had been left to work on the meat she'd laid out. The heat of the coals was enough to keep pests away while the scent of human and fire was more than enough to scare off scavengers. Well, that and the skunk root she'd laid about.

That stuff was potent and lingered. It didn't absorb into things, thankfully, which is what made it so useful. Between human, fire, and skunk root most forest creatures gave her camp a wide berth.

She turned the meat strips once more, ensuring they were being dried thoroughly, and gave the simmering pot of journey cake another quick stir. She'd been fortunate to fell a large deer during the first foray of her hunting. The deer's stomach, when handled properly, made a wonderfully useful pot for everything she'd needed.

Smaller animal innards and hides made storage or water bags. Everything she needed was tucked into her environment. The nearness of deep winter worked to her advantage as most animals were foraging desperately for the last bits of food they could find before the snows came. They made easier prey.

"Just a few more days," Elwyn remarked as she lifted a satchel of tender-cooked venison from its perch and dug in. She dipped out spoonfuls of the journey cake, which was more like a stew at this point, to go with the meat. It was a hearty meal and it fortified her for another long, chilly watch in the forest.

Her hand brushed her hilts and she smiled. It wasalmost time.