Chapter 7

A sprawling, bustling city stood just beyond the wharves and sea. In a small tavern Elwyn sat alone in a corner having a final meal. She'd booked passage on a ship headed south from Count Rhys' lands.

It was difficult finding passage this late in the season, but a few merchant vessels still traversed the northern waters instead of moving south where it was warmer. The warmer waters had more trade, to be sure, but they also played host to pirates. Smaller merchant ships who couldn't afford heavy armaments or dedicated soldiers often didn't dare to sail the more dangerous waters. Instead they opted for the less profitable trade routes and made a comfortable living.

Elwyn was dipping the last of her stew onto her spoon when a few sailors straggled in. It was evident they'd been at sea for some time. Their talk floated around the room in broken pieces. Elwyn heard snippets about recruiting soldiers, a handful of pirate raids, and the various cargo they'd been hauling up and down the coast. None of their talk really interested her until a sharp note of concern cut across the room.

"...soldiers have brought their recruiting up here now..." Elwyn paused on that note as she turned the idea over in her mind. The king never bothered to send recruiters into the north before. The coincidence of their arrival with the abduction of Count Rhys' son could be linked. Elwyn flexed her thoughts – she'd never been terribly adept at political maneuvering despite Count Rhys' many lessons on the subject – before slowly dismissing its potential.

Nobles often had certain officers in their pockets. It wasn't difficult to imagine the soldiers were involved but she realized it wasn't likely in this situation. It'd be too obvious for the noble or nobles involved in the kidnapping to send their soldiers and officers up north to assist. Something on this scale was meant to be hidden with layers between the actual perpetrators and those carrying out the orders.

Elwyn had finished her meal and was preparing to leave when a group of soldiers swaggered into the tavern. It was a group of low-ranking officers: those with sufficient funds to buy a decent meal but not of sufficient rank to enter a higher-priced establishment or be invited to a merchant's table. Elwyn turned her eyes away from them with a feeling of derision; she'd never cared for this particular breed of soldiers.

The low-ranking officers weren't really fighters. They weren't commanders either. More often than not they ended up as useless bullies who'd never amount to anything. Wealthy enough to not be set on the front lines and too poor to buy a better rank, they took out their frustrations in the limited areas of their power.

These officers sauntered to a large, occupied table and demanded the seats. The patrons glanced at them before rising and moving off. Some left, having finished their meals, while others found room elsewhere and promptly set to polishing off the last of their food. The soldiers flopped onto the benches and began to shout for food and drink to be brought.

"And something decent," stated one, "with actual meat in it!"

Another chuckled before adding, "Yeah, and none of that barrel swill mead. Bring proper liquor!" The ruckus had drawn the tavern-keeper from the back where he'd clearly been cooking judging by the stains on his apron. He eyed the barkeeper who nodded slowly. There'd be no hard drinks for this lot. Elwyn sighed quietly, guessing how this would turn out.

A few older women appeared with trays of food and approached the soldiers diffidently. The younger maids took wider routes and served the less dangerous patrons. It didn't escape the soldiers' notice.

"If they're going to have us up here trying to convince a bunch of ignorant farmers to turn soldier, they could at least give us something prettier to look at," complained one as he sneered at the steel-haired woman settling a tray in front of him. The woman ignored his jibe and flexed the hardened muscles of her arms she'd more than earned by years of bread-making. The rest of the soldiers shared the complaint and threw off a few more insults at the stupidity they'd encountered. More of the patrons swallowed their food and quickly left the tavern.