18: Not Going Anywhere

"Engage: zombie mode," I mumbled, turning over. Once again, my body had confined itself to my couch and refused to get up. I had one foot on the hand rest of the couch, one hand draping over the back, and my other limbs placed themselves elsewhere. Nearly a million blankets covered me, and between that and the sweatshirt and pants I was wearing, I felt like I was swimming in fabric. My phone was on the coffee table, ringing, ringing, and it was barely registering that I should answer-

"Hello!" I jerked upward and scrambled for my phone, fumbling over the screen before pressing the answer button.

"Hello?"

"T-minus two days!" Mark's smooth voice filtered through, and I dropped back onto the couch, my whole body tired from that little exertion of energy.

"T-minus two," I croaked in return. My voice was so gravelly it surprised even me. I didn't know how long it had been since I'd used it.

"Woah," Mark exclaimed, "Your voice is practically deeper than mine, what happened to you?" I looked around; what did happen to me? I noticed for the first time that my TV was on, droning episodes of something I wasn't paying attention to in the background. A mug with a teabag in it was on the coffee table near where my phone was, and my laptop was in sleep mode next to it. Ah, yes- work.

"(Y/N)?" He asked again, and he sounded worried this time.

"The day's been kind of in and out, everything's sort of blending together," I confessed. "I've been trying to finish an animation for the channel in between packing for the tour and it's so, so tiring."

"What have I told you about overworking yourself?" Mark asked, and I chuckled.

"I'm not, Nurse Mark, I promise. I... Actually haven't gotten much done. I've been doing a lot more lying around than getting work done." He chuckled this time.

"I feel you," He said, "Procrastination sets in hard when you're prepping to be away from work for so long." I nodded, but choked out an 'm-hm' when I remembered he couldn't hear that. I shook my head, trying to think clearly.

"But seriously, love, if you need to sleep, tell me to shut up and hang up so you can get some rest."

"No, don't hang up!" I implored. "I like hearing your voice, it's actually really nice. I appreciate you looking out for me, but I have been sleeping. It's all I've been doing, pretty much..." My words slurred together as I nearly yawned my jaw off, proving my point.

"Are you... Drunk?" Mark asked carefully, and I laughed so hard I nearly fell asleep.

"I'm offended," I said jokingly, "But no. I can't even pretend I'm drunk on a lack of sleep. I'm just exhausted." Mark was quiet on the other line for a few moments.

"I'm coming over to baby you," He informed me, "You don't sound well."

"Mark," I began, but he shushed me gently.

"You can't un-convince me, and I'm already at your door. Are you really going to deny your boyfriend who is literally standing in front of your house?" I huffed.

"No," I said, "I'm coming."

"Stay on the phone?" He asked, and a smile slipped over my face.

"Wouldn't dream of hanging up if you need me." I looked over at the door from my place on the couch, which suddenly felt like it was miles away from me. I dragged my body up off the couch, my knees wobbling with the sudden weight of the rest of me. How long was I on that couch? I couldn't remember.

"You coming?" I heard Mark ask through the phone, and I nodded.

"Yessir," I promised. "Be patient, please, it takes a lot of energy to drag this old sack of bones to the door." But I moved a little faster, knowing he was waiting. My bones really did hurt from just the effort of moving, but I was able to ignore it once I reached the door and leaned on the doorknob for support. I unlocked the door and swung it open slowly. My eyes widened- Mark looked so adorably comfortable in a hoodie I'd lent him years ago and a pair of dark sweatpants. A lopsided grin on his face and his hair slightly mussed made him look so inviting, and I held my arms out.