7: Past or Present

Your POV, 2 Weeks Later

Mark and I have never been awkward around each other. We always have something to talk about, we always are laughing about something or other. And, don't get me wrong, that hasn't changed at all. But, especially for Mark, it's a little hard to have a relationship that's not really a relationship and have his life posted onto the internet every day.

In other words, people are starting to wonder if Mark and I are dating, having seen me in the Truth or Dare video. To be honest, though, it's kind of funny. People are freaking out, some are happy and some are not. Fanfiction and fanart have been flooding Mark's twitter and YouTube comments section, and it is a little overwhelming. But it's funny. The internet doesn't understand that Mark and I aren't dating. Not officially, not yet. Of course, we've known each other for a super long time and we both love each other. That's common knowledge in between the two of us, but the internet doesn't know. All they know is that we're best friends, and we've been in a video together, so I guess that automatically qualifies us to be together. We're kind of in a time right now where we know we'll date eventually, just not right this second. Mark and I are just fine being best friends until we're ready to be together. But, as I said- the internet doesn't understand that.

 So, earlier today, Mark and I were doing a video playing MEC with the co-op mode. It hasn't gone up yet, as his first video just went up, but later today it will be posted for the world to see. To give them a hint about the video, though, Mark posted a picture on Instagram of us recording. It was captioned,

'Feeling like some parkour today...' And he tagged me in the picture

People went berserk. My Instagram account blew up with follow notifications and DMs. Mark's comments section was overflowing, asking if we are dating, who is this girl... All the comments you'd expect. But now, it's gotten to the point where people recognize me outside of the YouTube community- and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my gosh, are you Mark and (Y/N)?" A girl came running up to us the minute we walked out of Break the Fast. I looked at Mark, and he said,

"Yes, that's us!" Mark responded cheerfully. I smiled as well. She seems nice.

"I'm Ashley. It's awesome to meet you! I really like you both." Ashley smiled, and her face lit up with excitement. "Could I maybe... Get a picture with you guys? Please?" She asked. Her green eyes pleaded, looking at Mark and I. At the same time, we said,

"Sure!" Ashley jumped up once in delight, and she got out her phone and took the picture with all three of us in it. She put her phone away, still smiling, but I could see her hesitating. But before I could say anything, she spoke.

"I know you've probably gotten this question a lot, but... Are you guys together? Are you just good friends? Are you... Oh my gosh, are you siblings?" Ashley looked like she was about to explode asking questions. So I answered her.

"Calm down, Ashley. We're not dating. But you were right about one thing- we are best friends." I said. Ashley seemed to calm down.

"Oh. You do make a great pair of friends. But still, I ship it." She giggled, and Mark and I did as well.

"Well, Ashley, we ship it too. It'll just take some time." Mark said. I turned to him, surprised. He's been pretty quiet about our 'relationship' status to his fans, but here he was opening up to a girl who can't be any older than twelve.

"I'll be waiting for the confession video!" The redheaded girl laughed again, and I couldn't help but snicker.

"Ashley, can you do me a favor and not tell anyone? We'll tell you guys when were ready." Mark said, and Ashley nodded vigorously. 

"Of course! Your secret's safe with me!"

"Thanks, Ashley." I smiled sincerely at her, and she returned my smile.

"Well Ashley, I suppose we'll see you later!" Mark said. 

"Definitely. Bye!" Waving cheerfully to the both of us, the girl ran off. 

Mark and I walked in silence for some time, and neither of us spoke a word until we were almost back home.

"She was really nice." I commented, breaking the silence.

"I know!" Mark commented. "It's refreshing to meet an awesome person. I mean, not that my fans aren't the greatest-" 

"- but not all of them are willing to accept the fact that we aren't together." I finished his sentence for him. He nodded.

"Yeah. I mean, some of them are upset we aren't together. Some of them think we're hiding it, and they're upset because... I don't even know!" Mark exclaimed, laughing. I giggled as well.

"They're upset because their red-haired hero isn't dating them instead of me. That's why  they need to be your best friend for 27 years first." I said, laughing.

"Yeah, you have to me my very best friend before we can even talk." Mark said jokingly. As we walked up to both of our apartments, a funny thought came into my head, and I started laughing again.

"What happened?" Mark asked. Giggling, I responded,

"Some of them- some of them probably still think that you and Jack are still a thing in secret." I don't know why I find that so funny, but I do. Apparently, it is funny, because Mark snickered, then burst out laughing. After we recovered, we both said goodbye to each other. Mark 'dropped me off' at my apartment, and then I watched him walk across the hall to his own apartment. We both waved to each other, then entered out homes and shut the door. 

*Mark's POV*

I walked inside, tossing my wallet on the nearest surface. I flopped onto my couch, pulling out my phone and dialing a number. Once I heard the dial tone, I put my phone to my ear.

"Hello?" 

"Wade, you have to help me. I don't know how to tell her..."

*Your POV*

I sighed, putting my purse on the table. Feeling inspired, I immediately went to my room. I grabbed one of my notebooks, shut the door, and just began writing. I wrote about Mark, my day, the past year, the last time I left the hospital, and anything else that came to mind. I wrote for about an hour before I stopped to assess my work. Nine full pages of my tiny handwriting in blue ink, completed with doodling in the margins and other ideas jotted down at the edges of a page. Still in the mood to look at words, I decided to read my old notebooks. Grabbing all seven of my books, I plopped into my bed and dove into my own world, reliving the past. Laughing at all of my funny moments, crying remembering the pain I went through in the hospital for six years. Reading about all of the insecurities I felt losing my hair to chemo. Feeling the fear I used to feel whenever Mark saw me practically bald every day for a long, long time. Remembering all the personal things I've written in there was good for me. I've laughed, I've cried, but all in all, I've felt. I've felt everything from elated to upset, but that's been a little remedy for me. I needed something to focus on other than fans going wild over my 'relationship' status. Looking out the window, I realize that I've spent the remainder of my day reliving my past. But I needed that reminder of where I came from, that reminder that it takes pain and determination to get through the hardest days. Satisfied with my evening of being an archaeologist of my past, I shut my last book, turned off my bedroom lamp, and fell asleep.