Chapter 38 - Aftereffects (Part 2)

THE FIRST PART OF THIS CHAPTER IS RESTRICTED. FOLLOW ME FOR ACCESS ONLY IF YOU ARE MATURED ENOUGH. 

THIS IS THE SECOND PART OF CHAPTER 38. THIS IS THE UNRESTRICTED PART. HENCE THIS IS SMALL CHAPTER. 

************************************************************************************************

 Chapter 38 - Aftereffects (Part 2)

Days later, I sat with Sophie in Starbucks, one of our usual routines. “You need to ask him Rose!” Sophie asked me ardently while sipping her coffee. And here I was still thinking about Nathan and feeling an ache for him. I am shameless!

 After Brittany had left, I questioned whether Sophie too was like her, but then I couldn’t think about it for long. The moment I saw her next, her open smile and beautiful face as she hugged me I knew that this girl was nothing like Brittany.

There were moments there that I couldn’t help but wonder how Brittany was doing. Was she doing ok? There were moments when I questioned myself, had I gone too hard on her? Everyone deserves a second chance don’t they?  

“Rose!” Sophie waved her hands in front of me bringing me back to reality. Nathan had asked me to promise him that I wouldn’t even think about Brittany again. Don’t break your promise Rose! My inner voice scolded me.

“Yeah what?” I asked lost looking at the girl who would put the hottest models to shame. In her professional pencil skirt and white blouse, she still turned heads everywhere she went. And yet she had an aura of trust around her. Like everyone could depend on her, like she would take everyone’s problems and make sure everyone around was fine. 

“You need to completely clear the eight months issue! You need to ask him whether he really meant the forever?!” she gabbed on my hands at each word as though trying keep me from zoning out. Yes. I do.

I knew that I had to finally get this thing out of my head, but somehow courage kept failing me. I wished I had asked him the very day when Brittany had rung the bell on the wrong moment. It would have been so much easier, but here I was over three weeks later and yet I couldn’t muster that question. I didn’t even know why I was so scared, he had already made his intentions very clear, but somehow I felt like I was demeaning our relationship by bringing up the eight months issue. I was secretly hoping that this weekend would pass without notice and we would never talk about that again.

“Listen” she said again, “It is best to clear this issue ok? As far as I know Mr. Hamilton at least before you walked into his life he kept women at bay. Even Sarah who was his longest ‘female friend’ was there just for a little over eight weeks. Everyone can now see how much into you he is, but it is never good to assume such things”

“I know I know” I said hastily trying to end the topic. It was like something on my running-away-from list and everyone knows you don’t talk about your running-away-list. Pushing the chair back, I got up trying to get a muffin from the star-bucks counter. “I will get you a muffin ok?” I said before rapidly moving away from her to end the topic.  

I knew she had the best interest at heart, but I really was hoping that this final weekend would pass without a word. If Nathan really wanted me to go, he would have said so right? Let bygones be bygones.