Reckless - Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I didn’t go to work for the rest of the week.

I just didn’t have the energy to do so; h*ll, I didn’t have the energy to get out of my bed. I probably looked like the living dead.

Melanie came by Tuesday and took me to the doctor’s office. My constant throwing up turned out to be an annoying stomach bug. The doctor prescribed me some medicine to take, which should hopefully help me fully recover.

Melanie’s motherly instincts started to show. She put me on bed rest, insisting that I get better before I did anything. And, literally, I didn’t do anything.

I basically stayed in my bed all day. When I got bored, I drew random things. I ended up with a pair of familiar eyes that have been stuck in my head ever since I saw them pass by the small diner.

Other than drawing, I’ve been watching movies and pretty much sleeping all day. To be honest, I really needed the sleep - ever since I’ve moved to Hudson, I haven’t been getting a lot of sleep. I’ve had my fair share of sleepless nights.

On Wednesday, Chris called. I guess Melanie told everyone at work that I wasn’t going to be in anytime soon. Chris came by occasionally to drop off some soup from the restaurant; however, Melanie wouldn’t allow him anywhere near me.

I haven’t heard from Nash all week.

I start to wonder if I scared him off and he is avoiding me - was it because we almost kissed? But whenever I thought of him, I brushed the thoughts aside. There’s no reason for me to think of him. He clearly didn’t care.

By Friday night, I have fully recovered from this disaster of a stomach bug - no more throwing up, no more upset stomachs, no more fevers, and definitely no more being confined to this house.

The first thing I did this Saturday morning was go on a run. Being confined to bed has made me miss the rush and high of adrenaline coursing through my body.

The run was relaxing, but I felt like something - or someone - was missing.

After the run, I feel rejuvenated. I walk into my apartment and head straight for the shower. The steam from the hot water relaxes my sore muscles. I may have overdone the run today - running six miles, which is much more than I’m used to. There was something about wanting to prove to myself that I can run that much.

I hop out of the shower and dress into my work clothes - shorts and a loose blue shirt. It’s only one o’clock, but I thought I would go in early to get something to eat for lunch.

While putting my shoes on, I hear the familiar sound of strumming coming from above. I haven’t heard the usual melody in a while, so I stop what I’m doing and revel in the sound.

I walk out the door and my feet guide me up the stairs to the third floor. In all honesty, I don’t know what I’m doing, but I make my way to his apartment. Something in my stomach is urging me to apologize. For what? I don’t really know.

I lift my hand and am about to knock on the door when I hear a slight giggle. Then I hear a deep laugh - a laugh that is so contagious.

Something in my stomach twists and I back away slowly. I turn around quickly, not realizing that someone was behind me.

I collide into the person, making them drop all their groceries. They drop on the ground with a loud clash that I’m pretty sure everyone could hear. Different food cans roll on the floor and I reach to pick them up.

“Oh my God. I am so sorry,” I apologize.

Looking up, I realize that I ran into a man. Someone who I’ve never seen before. He has a buzz cut and is so much taller than I am.