Reckless - Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The peaceful night greets us as we walk in silence. There are few cars on the street, as it is about a quarter past twelve. But I don’t mind the quiet; it gives me a chance to think.

Nash’s voice breaks the silence, “So, where did you come from?"

Great, the question game. I look over at him, “Florida.”

“That’s a long way from here,” he has his hands in the front pockets of his jeans.

“Yeah. I guess.”

“Did you come with anyone?”

I frown, “No. I came by myself.”

Nash murmurs something under his breath that sounds like, “same here,” but I’m not exactly sure that I hear him correctly.

“Uh, how old are you?”

“Eighteen,” I reply easily.

“What’s an eighteen year old girl doing here by herself?”

I shake my head. I don’t think I’m willing to give him answers like that. I think he takes my silence as an answer because he looks forward, not questioning me anymore.

“What about yourself?” I ask, curious.

He laughs a deep, husky laugh and rubs the back of his neck, “There’s really nothing great to know about me. I’m twenty-two. I moved from Chicago to Hudson, by myself, when I was seventeen. And as you already know, I’m in a band.”

“What was a seventeen year old boy doing here by himself?” I mockingly ask.

Nash smiles at my question, but like me, he doesn’t bother to answer.

Before I know it, we are standing on the floor of my room. I pull out my keys and open the door. Walking inside, I set my wallet, keys, and phone on the desk. Turning around, I see him leaning on the side of the doorframe with his arms crossed.

I look at him with scrunched eyebrows before murmuring goodbye.

I think I see a slight frown on his lips, “Bye, Addy.”

Closing the door, I lean against it, slightly confused at the twist in my stomach. Shrugging it off, I depart for the bathroom so I can take a nice hot shower to end my exhausting and confusing day.

***

An early shift at work is definitely something that I hate.

My alarm goes off at precisely seven o’clock. I wake up, but don’t actually get out of bed until twenty minutes pass.

While I lay in bed, I replay the events of last night in my head. Would I see the band again? If Melanie and Dan do get closer, maybe I’ll see him around. I think about Kane and become a little uneasy. Hopefully, things won’t be like the first time. Would I see Nash again?

I suddenly snort; knowing him, I probably will.

Wait… Why was I thinking about him? I mean, I don’t even know him. We just met and, coincidentally, have been bumping into each other.

But why has he been so nice to me? I mean, he’s a one-night stand kind of guy; every guy is, nowadays. They pick up random groupies and get together with them for a short time.

I rub my eyes to wake myself up and brush off the thoughts of Nash. The clock on the small night stand reads seven twenty. I should really start getting ready for the day if I’m going to be at work on time.