27. Invitations

One moment Ryan was standing a few feet away from me and the next, I was being hauled against a strong hard chest. His familiar musky scent invaded all my senses making me dizzy and sending currents of heat down my body. One of his hands came to rest on my stomach applying enough pressure to keep me trapped in the cradle of his arms--Not that I wanted to be anywhere else--His breath tickled the shell of my ear as he buried his face in my hair.

"Are you craving pizza? Because I'd love to get a pizz-a you." He whispered against my ear.

Warmth spread across my belly at his low playful tone and a little laugh slipped past my lips.

I'd never seen Ryan more happy and relaxed than this last few days we've been together. 

We shared lots of stolen kisses and touches. Every day at school he made it his job to touch me in any way he could. Sometimes it was just a brush of his fingers against my knuckles during a lecture, but it was enough to give me the flutters. Whenever I entered a room my eyes would seek him out, in the hallways, in the cafeteria. My body was hyper aware of him, vibrating with need whenever he was near.

We had lunch together everyday along with Hannah, James, Layla and occasionally Taylor when the mood struck him. We talked a lot about school and our families. I'd learned that he lived a few blocks from me in the posh part of town. He had no other siblings apart from Charlotte and he lived with both his parents. His father was a lawyer for an important firm in Marietta while his mother worked at home for a travel agency. I'd also shared about my life back in Danville. I didn't go as far as telling him I was a social outcast but he knew about my relationship with my father and the she-bitch-from-hell--AKA my step-mother. 

That's why the previous mention of the Trafford brothers caught me so off guard. Ryan had never mentioned anything about them.

I take a deep breath, feeling the solid warmth of his chest against my back. He looked gigantic in his football gear. His body Engulfing me.

"Was that supposed to woo me?" I teased.

His lips twitched against my neck. "It depends. Did it work?"

My head began to shake before I had time to answer. "Nope. You'll have to expand your research on new pick up lines. I'm afraid the ones you know are rather cliché."

His soft laugh ruffled the tiny hairs at the back of my neck. "By the way you're clinging to me I'd say it did a good job."

"I'm not clinging to you!" I denied.

"Sweetheart, you are clutching my arms as if you never want to let go."

My eyes dropped to his strong arms only to confirm he was right. My hands had a vice grip on his forearms. 

Releasing him immediately I took a step back and turned around to face him, disengaging his arms from around my waist. I could feel my cheeks heating from embarrassment. "I was afraid to fall." I offered not quite meeting his eyes. Trying to come up with something to justify my actions.

He made a sound of amusement, capturing my chin between his thumb and forefinger he tilted my face up to meet his vibrant green eyes. They were sparkling with humor and something akin to desire. "I know you can't help yourself when it comes to me. My mere presence makes you feel weak on your knees."

I stared at the deep green hues of his irises until his words caught up with my foggy brain. "What?"

His lips curled upwards. "I make you dizzy."

"You do not!"

His thumb started stroking the skin of my jaw. "You turn to jelly when you hear my voice. Admit it."