17. The Other Side

"Hmm...It smells so good honey" Came my mother's voice from behind me.

It was saturday morning and I stood in the kitchen, my back to her as I poured the cinnamon waffle mix on the hot pan. I smiled, "What can I say? I got it from my mother."

She gave me one of her perfect smiles, "Well...surely not from your father. I'd be surprised if he could slice a tomato without cutting his fingers off."

With a breathless laugh, I turned in place towards her. She had a pink bathrobe on, her wet hair combed to the side and her hands on her hips,"Slept good?" I asked.

She gave me a fresh smile, "Yes, sorry about yesterday. I had to finish some delayed work from the office."

I waved my hand in the air, "Don't worry about it. I was really tired." After the short awkward conversation I had with my dad in which I was only halfway present I'd drifted off.

You never know how tired you really are until there is a bed in your near vicinity.

"I thought so," She took a few steps into the kitchen and sat on one of the stools. "Your friends seemed like good girls."

"Yep, they are." I smiled, thinking of disastrous Hannah and moody Layla.

"Did you have a good time?"

My thoughts drifted towards Ryan. His warm arms wrapped around me, his breath against my ear, the time spent inside his car, his silly jokes, the kiss on my cheek.

I'd been terrified thinking he was going to kiss me.

Stupid. I know.

A throat cleared.

I fell down from cloud nine to see my mother with a smirk and a mischievous spark in her eyes.

All the blood rushed to my cheeks.

I looked down and turned away from her, pretending to be busy with the waffle pan."It was good."

"Hmm" Was all she said.

I wasn't until I was spreading syrup on my waffle that she dropped the bomb.

"So...who is the fortunate guy?"

My heart jumped. The bottle of syrup slipped from my hands and fell to the ground.

"W--what?"

"I'm not blind honey. You've been spotting a smile since I brought the subject up and your eyes are twinkling." She stated, pointing me with her fork before cutting a piece of waffle and stuffing it into her mouth.

"I'm not spotting a smile." I denied as I picked up the bottle of syrup.

"Sure. You aren't drawing syrup hearts on your waffle either right?" She smirked.

I looked down at my plate.

Damn.

"They don't look like hearts to me." I said.

"Hmm"

I sighed, "Fine."

"You met a boy?" She asked.