𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Life becomes more difficult when you are living with an abusive father. Things are hard to deal with. Emma's father is an educated man who is a caring and kind to everyone, but her. It is quite uncanny for him to be treating her like a traitor.

After Emma's mother died fourteen years ago, her father resorted to drinking to drown out his sorrows. He had started treating the pub like a second home, and it only kept getting worse.

But then things slowly started to change. One night, her father came home with a bottle of beer in his hands. The confidence that he always had while her mom was there had blown away like the wind. Emma looked into her father's eyes and saw the pain his heart was going through.

"Daddy, I'm going to Jane's apartment for awhile, I'll be home before ten!'' Emma shouted as she grabbed her coat and began to walk to the front door.

"Okay, sweetie take care and have fun," her father yelled back at her from the next room.

Emma opened the front door of her place and began to stroll to Jane's apartment. It was around eight at night and the streets were deserted. Jane lived only a couple blocks away, but that didn't stop Emma from calling a taxi.

******-*******-******

"Em, I can't believe you came. I missed you so much. How's college going?" Jane asked sipping her tea with her usual smile on her face.

"College's fine. I got to make new friends at the campus. They're very welcoming." She said.

"How about you? I haven't heard anything from you for quite a while. How's everything between you and Michael? Are you guys finally a thing?" Emma questioned, taking a bite of her steak.

"Yeah, about that, uh... we broke up a few months ago." Jane explained shyly.

"Oh no, that's terrible... what happened?" She asked flabbergasted.

"He cheated on me with some whore from the bar. And he thinks she's better than me." Jane said as a tear rolled down her freckled cheek.

"Oh, Jane. I can't believe he treated you like you that. I mean, what kind of a person does that? Treating you like a traitor. I am so sorry. He is so stupid to leave you. I mean look at you, you're the most beautiful girl in the world. Those beautiful ocean blue eyes and that bright smile, anybody would be lucky to have you. I'm sure you'll find someone soon, someone who'll give you the love you deserve."

"Yeah, I hope so too." She replied.

"I heard that your brother is in the army now. How is he doing lately?" Jane asked, as she stood up from the table and walked to the kitchen.

"He's alright I suppose. I haven't seen him ever since I was fourteen. He's been incredibly busy with work and barely has time for me. Poor Ben. He's only doing this for our well-being, for our family. I feel sorry for the man. Hardworking, suffering his life for me and Stephanie. I wish I could see him again." She sighed.

"All I want is for him to come home and spend some quality time together. Just the two of us." She chuckled.

They continued talking and didn't realize as time flew by.

It was almost a quarter past one now, when suddenly her phone rang. Upon looking at the caller ID on the phone screen, she answered the call.

"Hello?" She mumbled softly.

Her father's stern voice answered the line. "Emma... where are you? I thought you promised me to come home before ten. Why aren't you home yet? We need to discuss this! Come back home this instant, do you hear me?" Her father said, the concern in his voice evaporating as his tone of voice got louder and louder.