𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

Start from the beginning

"Y-Yes sir, I'll b-be right t-there,'' she said timidly and quickly ended the phone call.

"What is it Emma? Is everything okay? Is something wrong?" Jane asked, worriedly.

"No, I'm fine, it's just my father. He was expecting me to be home a few hours ago, I'm sorry Jane but I have to go. We should hang out like this again sometime soon," she said as she slid on her coat in a rush.

"Yeah sure, that would be great. I'll see you later Emma. Take care bye," she said as she walked her out.

She rushed down the steps of Jane's apartment and quickly called a cab. She stared out the window praying that her father won't get too mad at her. A few minutes later, she reached home and steadily walked into the apartment.

"Daddy, I'm home! Are you here?" she shouted nervously, walking into the eerily silent living room. The room going pitch black as she continued walking.

In the living room she saw her father on the arm chair with a bottle of beer gripped in his hand, with his eyes glued onto the TV.

Her father's eyes were glued to the television screen watching a rerun episode of Family Ties with red bloodshot eyes. His face was covered in a gruffy beard that was attached to his squared chin, his favourite white T-shirt was ripped into shreds and his pants were stained from the alcohol he was drinking. Her father saw her coming in and placed the beer bottle on the ground.

"Come here, Emma, I need a word with you," her father called, motioning his finger for her to come towards him.

Emma's heartbeat kept rising with every step she took towards the couch.

"Sit down," her father ordered.

Silently, Emma sat down on the couch across from her father, petrified.

"I thought you were going to be home three hours ago, tell me, what were you doing over at your friend's apartment?" his words were saturated with paranoia and anxiety.

"Did you do something bad behind my back, young lady?" He gritted through his teeth.

"No, we were just having dinner and talked about how we missed seeing each other. I haven't seen Jane for quite a long time." Emma explained truthfully.

"Why did you need to break your promise?" He yelled.

Emma kept quiet not knowing what to say.

"Answer me before I beat the heck out of you!" He roared.

"I'm so sorry dad, I lost track of time and didn't realize it was already so late, please forgive me," she begged. Her father threw the bottle of beer towards her, causing the thick liquid to splash over her frail body. Her eyes widened as she started to tremble in fear.

"I'm sorry, dad, I promise I won't repeat it again, please forgive me. I beg you."

"You're sorry, huh?'' he chuckled.

She looked at him and nodded.

Emma couldn't quite remember when it all started going down hill. When the line was crossed, and the man she once knew was no longer found. He would find flaws in everything she did. He would then give her a cold shoulder every time she would try to speak up. He pretended to not notice her or he would threaten her. It kept on continuing until the day she finally broke.

''You're sorry? You're sorry? Come with me, I am going to give you the punishment you deserve." her father said dragging her upstairs to the bathroom. He entered the bathroom and grabbed Emma by her head before dunking her into the bathtub filled with water. "You will listen to me next time, you little bitch," He smiled maliciously.