Chapter 26 - Bonds

"Derek can I ask you something?"

Brooklyn was stretched out on the bed with Derek pressed flush beside her. Her eyes were half lidded as she was worn from a rather active night.

"Yes," he leaned in inhaling her scent. Sandalwood and spice was the hunter's scent and Derek had committed to his memory the first day they met.

"Can you tell me more about the mating thing?" She felt her face tinge red as she felt slightly embarrassed.

"What do you want to know?" He propped one elbow up as curiosity lined his green depths.

"Well….how does it….."

"Work?" Derek finished her question. Brooklyn nodded feeling her ears beginning to burn. She couldn't but help to wonder if Scott had not come along what could have happened.

"The mark works as a statement for our kind which you already know. It establishes a connection between myself and you. If you or I get in trouble or are in any distress the other can feel it; it's a pack mentality in a way."

"Right but I think you know what I want to know."

"Right," Derek exhaled. "But you have to know some other things too."

He leaned in and tenderly kissed his hunter and left his lips on hers for several sweet seconds. Brooklyn groaned at the coldness that quickly filled the gap as he pulled away but Derek caressed her face keeping the bond alive.

"When the opposite sex is marked, they start developing behaviors."

"Like what?"

"When we were surrounded by Argent and the others your aggression was off the charts. I could smell the adrenaline covering your entire body."

"Well Argent pisses me off," she shrugged.

"But a part of me was passed to you and a part of you to me."

Brooklyn nodded but was quiet as she relaxed into Derek's touch.  She could stay like this forever......

"Nothing wrong with that," she finally spoke.

"When the next full moon comes around the urge will be at its strongest….For both of us."

"Okay makes sense," she nodded.

"The week of the full moon will be hard for us. The wolf will be difficult to control. Perhaps you should stay somewhere safe."

"I'll be ready for him," she flashed a short confident smile.

"Doesn't mean I'm not worried Brooklyn. I don't know what the wolf is capable of when mating season arrives."

Brooklyn considered his concerns but knew it was something she could face. If the dreams they shared were visions of what was to come then they could make it through….Together. She looked up to him and knew she had to ask him again.

"But do you want this? You, the human Derek. I know I asked you once before but I'm asking again."

Derek slid closer capturing the hunter's pouty lips. He let his hand rake down her arm, showing it was the human side of him wanted this…..Wanted her. Being around the hunter was slowly becoming a powerful drug for him.  A drug that he was addicted to. He had been closed off since the fire and had almost forgotten what it was like to feel the touch of another in any way. But now Derek found himself craving for her touches, kisses, and caresses only to turn around and crave more and more when she was there.

"Does that answer your question," his voice was husky and low. "I want and need you…."

"Well I'm not going anywhere," she declared.