Chapter 98 - Awake!

The next morning brought no change to Brooklyn's condition. Derek swallowed back the lump that grew in his throat, refusing to give up so easily. Brooklyn didn't give up on him when he had been shot with the Nordic Blue Monkshood and nearly died from its effects. She had told him to fight after Peter attacked him in Alpha form at the high school.

"I will not give up on you," he whispered in her ear.

Derek had taken on the responsibility of caring for Alex and Laura for the time being and found it therapeutic. His mind would stay trained on the tiny bundles as each one got their fill or change. Every two hours they would wake up or make a distinct cry that alerted the nearest adult they were hungry. The nurse that brought them in a few days before patiently demonstrated how to change and rewrap the swaddling blankets. Derek found changing diapers the least enjoyable task. His keen nose crinkled at the first waft of soiled diaper as Alex started stirring which evolved into a piercing cry that threatened to shatter his eardrums. His eyes watered as he choked the first time changing Alex.

On this occasion he was in the middle of taking care of Laura when he growled to himself. Derek didn't have to avert his eyes to the door for the fear drenched Stiles like sweat betraying his presence to the Alpha.

"Whoa," Scott and Stiles halted at the doorway. "That is…..ripe."

"Wow what are you feeding them?" Stiles nervously chimed in. "I mean does a baby really produce that much? Where does it come from?"

Derek glared at the pair as he finished cleaning Laura. His eyes melted from green to ruby, warning both teens to back down.

"Seriously Stiles?" He snarled in offense to Stiles' words. That was his daughter Stiles was joking about!

"Sorry," he ducked behind Scott. "Please don't eat me."

Derek ignored him and returned Laura to the bassinet. Alex continued to sleep, blissfully unaware of the obnoxious duo present.

"We came by to see how Brook was doing," Scott looked down at the floor.

"She hasn't changed," Derek kept his voice solid but knew Scott picked up on the slight waver in his tone.

"Well we brought these," Stiles shot his arm out offering the dozen pink and yellow roses. Derek arched an eyebrow as he suspected Stiles had bought those but a few moments later admitted to himself it was a touching gesture. He couldn't be angry at Stiles for long and gestured for him to put the flowers on the stand.

"You know they do brighten up the room," Stiles cheerfully noted.

"Look I know what you're attempting to do," Derek sighed and dropped in the chair.

"The police cleared you and Brook," Scott changed the subject. "They received a tip that led to evidence linking Kate to the murders. They're saying she was killing everyone off who was tied to the fire and making the deaths look like animal attacks."

"Yeah, Markus pulled through," Stiles earned a punch in the arm from Scott. "What the Hell was that for?"

"Your dad is coming down the hall," the brunette hissed. A few seconds later the rigid figure of the Sheriff rapped on the door and poked his head in.

"Derek can I talk to you….alone?"

Stiles caught the warning look his dad shot in his and Scott's direction and scurried out like a spooked animal. The sheriff took off his hat and held it between his hands as he felt a strange sense of relief slowly sinking in.

"I'm sure you may have already heard but you and Brooklyn are no longer suspects. We received evidence from an anonymous tipster which concreted the connection between Kate Argent and the murders."