Chapter 4 - Stiles!

Chapter 4 - Stiles!

“Who?” Brooklyn felt the painkiller begin to flood her veins.  The stabbing searing pain was losing control, slowly lifting from her mind.  It was one of the few she could stomach without losing her lunch. 

                “His name’s Scott McCall,” Derek watched as the hunter shook her head and winced in pain at the same time.  “Before you arrived….”

                “You mean during the first attack,” Brooklyn cut in, “Sorry go on.”

                “I was out tracking the Alpha but heard the sheriff and deputies scouring the woods as well.  I heard Scott and his friend Stiles sneaking around.”

                “Lovely,” the hunter rolled her eyes and flung her hands up.  “So what he was taking a midnight stroll through the nature preserve?  What the Hell is this place?  Mayberry!?!?”

                “Anyways,” Derek ignored her snide remark, “the day after that I caught them out there looking for Scott’s inhaler.”

                “So how did you know he was bitten?”

                “His scent,” Derek was blunt but to the point.

                “Of course,” she ran her hand down her face.  “A human’s scent changes when bitten by a werewolf.  So where is Scott now?”

                “The high school,” Derek waved a hand for her to follow, “If you want to see for yourself.”

                “Does a wolf howl at the moon?” She flashed a coy smile before grabbing her jacket and heading out the door.  Derek just glared at the hunter but Brooklyn’s smile didn’t falter. 

                Brooklyn was surprised no one paid attention to her or Derek standing by the stands.  But then again this was Small Town USA and everyone probably still slept with their keys in the ignition.  She followed the two teams, one in white and the other in red up and down the field.  Though her gaze was trained on the quickly moving bodies chasing down the ball, her thoughts were elsewhere.  The hunter wanted to know more about the fire that destroyed Derek’s family, but was hesitant in fear of unleashing his bottled wrath.

                “That’s Scott,” Derek gestured with his head at the lone figure standing on the right side of the field.  Brooklyn watched as the teen leapt over several teammates then checking a taller one into the ground.  She watched as the teen collided then bounced up then back down against the field.  The pain was written across his face. 

                “What in the Hell…..”

                “He’s morphed,” Derek shoved his fists deep in his jacket pockets.  Brooklyn caught the cold quiet rage slowly building behind those turbulent green hues. 

                “Out here?!  In the open where everyone can see him?!?!”

                “It’s the emotions and adrenaline.  He can’t control it.”

                “I know what you’re thinking Derek and don’t do it.  We have enough problems as it is.  Let me talk to him.”

                “No,” Derek pressed his lips tightly together. 

                “Okay if we’re supposed to work together that means finding compromise.  After the way you nearly ripped that hunter apart my way might be a bit gentler.”