Chapter 9 - Family History & A Plan

“You’ll live,” Brooklyn duly noted Scott’s arm. 

                “I was shot by an arrow and all you have to say is I’ll live?!  What kind of messed up talk is that!?”

                “The truth for one,” Derek hovered over the smaller male. 

                “My money is on Argent and his merry band of doucewads,” Brooklyn stood cleaning off her jacket, the drying streaks of clay and mud was smeared across her beloved coat.  The hunter wrung out the cloth then continued without missing a beat. 

                “How can you be so sure it’s this guy you’re talking about?” Scott tossed the paper towel away and stood face to face with Brooklyn.  She stopped cleaning her jacket and turned to respond to Scott’s accusations. 

                “You don’t get it do you?  What part of the picture are you not seeing?  Do I need to draw it out for you?  Or perhaps spell it out in big letters?  Let me tell you something Scott: There is the hunter and there is the hunted in this world.  You may refuse to see it for what it really is but it’s the cold hard truth.  You are the hunted now.  If you want to survive you need to listen to us.  Now sit,” she pushed Scott back down on the bed and waited for him to make a move. 

                “The hunters will kill you,” Derek spoke in his normal dark chilling tone.  “They don’t care who you are or if you have a family or friends.  All they see is what you are.”

                “So here’s the deal,” Brooklyn jumped in, “You don’t play next Saturday and everyone lives to fight another day.”

                “No,” Scott shook his head.  “I’m on first string and I’m not screwing this up.”

                “What part of this isn’t a bargaining agreement do you not understand?  You’re not the only one who is at risk here okay?  I’m gonna let you in on a little secret:  Many of the hunters hate me.  You wanna know why?”

                “Why?” Scott huffed.

                “Because of this,” she gestured between Scott and Derek, “Because I’m willing to help you two.  I could easily kill you two but I don’t.  I want to help why can’t you see that?”

                “Because you’re crazy that’s why,” Scott felt his anger slowly rising followed by another transformation.  Both Derek and Brooklyn caught the trembling of Scott’s arms while his nails protruded painfully from his fingers.  Derek reacted and pinned Scott between the wall and his body, keeping him there with little effort. 

                “Calm down,” Derek growled.  He waited until Scott began to relax beneath his iron grip.  The nails retreated and fangs vanished leaving nothing behind. 

                “Listen to him Scott,” Brooklyn gently advised.  “Are you going to ignore what your very eyes showed you tonight?  Did that arrow not rip through enough skin and flesh to get the point across?”

                Derek released his hold on Scott, allowing the teen to breathe.  They were right about one thing: He had to keep this hidden from everyone, above all Allison.  But the game was so important to him, a chance to shine and show his classmates he was worth something.

                “Look can I just go home now?” Scott watched the soulful glances exchanged between Derek and Brooklyn. 

                “Go,” Brooklyn waved her hand dismissively.  Scott hastily gathered his jacket and retreated to the safety of outdoors.