Chapter 45 - Message on Skin

Brooklyn knocked on the door of the turn of the century bungalow. Derek could hear the footsteps hesitantly dragging towards them.

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

"Just follow my lead," she gave a brilliant smile just as the deadbolt clicked and and doorknob twisted. A middle aged man with hair thinning on top cast a weary glance at the pair. His eyes were watery, probably from crying no doubt. It had been what a few months since his son had been killed?

"Yes," he croaked.

"Mr. Dandridge," Brooklyn waited for him to nod. "My name is Katherine Lockwood and this is my boyfriend, Mason. We were friends of Daniel's and wanted to stop by and offer our condolences."

Dandridge raised an eyebrow at them both before pulling door open a little wider.

"Please, come in," his turned upward into a nervous smile. "I apologize for my behavior."

Brooklyn noticed the house was like any other typical suburban delight: photos of vacations and life events such as graduations and weddings. Knickknacks rested along the long table, most of which were from the university Daniel had been attending.

"Daniel was a good boy," his father passed the two cups of tea to Brooklyn and Derek. "He never got into any trouble and was on the baseball team."

Brooklyn cast a glance at Derek to drink what had been offered.

Do it…..

He pressed the steaming cup to his lips finding the Earl Grey surprisingly mellow.

"When he died our world crashed. They told us it was a mountain lion that got him and Will both. But I saw the photos and what kind of mountain lion would rip a man almost in half?"

The kind that's an Alpha and is pissed off…..

"Not even the girl he was seeing came to pay her respects."

"Daniel was seeing someone? He didn't even tell us," Brooklyn looked genuinely shocked despite the fact she was putting on a well played part.

"Yes, she was from Beacon Hills. He introduced me to her twice but what was her name….."

Derek detected her heart was pounding as she grew anxious. She didn't want to push the man as he had lost a son after all.

"Her name eludes me but I remember something distinct about her," he held up a finger before fetching a pad and pencil. "She was wearing this necklace. It looked old like an heirloom of some kind. Here let me see if I can draw it for you."

With a lightly shaking hand he outlined a star then just below it the backside of what appeared to be an animal of some kind. Derek watched as the series of lines and curves turned into a very familiar image.

A wolf…..

"I'm sorry if it's not the best," the older man shrugged.

"Mr. Dandridge it's quite alright," Brooklyn patted his hand. "You've been through a lot and we wanted to come by to say we're sorry and that Daniel will be missed."

"Thank you," he could only muster a weak smile. "I have another, a daughter, in school back east. She's holding up very well. But thank you for coming."

"Have you seen this before?" Brooklyn pointed at the drawing.

"No," Derek shook his head. "But my sister said she had found a lead in proving the Argent's had started the fire."

They were sitting in the Charger a few blocks from the Dandridge home. Brooklyn studied the image while Derek lightly drummed his fingers on the dash as he watched the concentration etched deeply on his hunter's face.