{37} I RESOLVE MY THOUGHTS BY THE SEA AND INDULGE IN PANCAKES {37}

Saturday, 7-21-18

About a week had passed since Bianca's incident, and seemingly no one had began to suspect anything. It was exactly four weeks until I would see Annabeth in person again.

I rolled over, pulling up my blanket. I shoved my leg out from under the covers and shifted onto my back. I leaned back onto my side, groaning. What I was doing was literally the definition of tossing and turning.

I yanked the covers off and got up from the small bunk bed. I shoved my feet into some sneakers and pulled my swim team hoodie over my head. As I straightened it out, I glanced at the clock above the door. It was a few minutes after midnight.

I headed out of the door and walked the familiar path to the fireworks beach. That was by far one of my favorite places at camp. I loved going there to calm down or clear my thoughts, breathing in the comforting scent of the salty ocean.

I sat down in the soft sand, close enough to the water for the waves to brush over my feet before receding back into the ocean. I stared at the shimmering water, which was a beautiful mixture of steel grey and icy blue. It seemed so mysterious, especially parallel to the ominous black sky.

I closed my eyes and was not disappointed by the image that greeted me. As per usual during my late nights, thoughts of a certain blonde haired girl flooded my mind. I just couldn't help myself from wondering how she was doing, if she loved the parthenon and all of the other features in Greece as much as she thought she would, if she missed me as much as I missed her....

I was very conflicted, because I was happy that Annabeth was living her dream in Greece, but I wished I could be with her. Maybe I would have been more satisfied if she had left for a shorter time. She would be gone for over a month, which was crazy compared to the usual time we spent apart. A week, at most.

My favorite part about Annabeth was how steadfast she could be. I had the tendency to be either notoriously stubborn or very laidback and easygoing. I wondered if I had different personalities depending on who I was with, and if maybe sometimes I put on a show. Realizing that I was the most real, the most pure, when I was with Annabeth, my thoughts spiraled deeper.

Annabeth was one of the only people in my life to bring out the real me and appreciate me, and that sounded perfectly fine to me. I would absolutely love coming home each day to Annabeth and just being myself with her, not putting on the cool guy act that some people might expect. There didn't seem to be a bad side to that. It seemed perfect.

I like her, I admitted mentally. I really, really like her.

I stood up and brushed the sand off of my shorts. I stared into the moon, taking in the way that a little more than half seemed visible. I took that as a sign to keep a positive mindset, almost like the phrase "glass half full."

Shoving my hair from my eyes, I trekked back to the cabins, finally ready for a peaceful night of sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up a few hours later, the sunlight gleaming through the open window. I tumbled out of bed and rubbed my eyes. Glancing at the clock, I stumbled over to Tyson's bunk.

I lightly shook him until he woke up. "Hey, buddy. It's almost time for breakfast. Let's get going."

He frowned, but sat up and got out of bed. I quickly changed out of my gym shorts and into a fresh pair of black basketball shorts, also throwing on a clean - I think - Camp Half-Blood tee. Then I left the cabin, waiting for Tyson to change.

After a few minutes he wandered out of the cabin and the two of us headed over to the dining pavilion. We sat at our table and chatted mindlessly about whatever we thought of until it was our turn to grab food. Then we marched up to the buffet and loaded up our plates. I got a few pancakes, some fruit, and two pieces of bacon. When we finished piling on food, we headed to the fire to toss in a portion, then sat back down at table three.

I munched on the food, slightly disappointed in the pancakes. Sure, they were good, but they could hardly compare with my mom's fresh blue chocolate chip ones. Everything was better blue with chocolate chips, and that's a Percy approved fact.

After breakfast, we had archery practice with Jason and the Artemis kids. That was one of the few lessons that was taught by Chiron.

I walked to the archery range beside Jason, who was oddly quiet. Tyson was behind us chatting excitedly with Nico, and all of the other Artemis girls were ahead of us, including Bianca. Her right forearm was still bandaged up, but she seemed fine.

"So," Jason piped, "you're good friends with Thalia, right? Like, I know you're cousins, but do you actually enjoy being with her?"

I smiled. "Yeah. We used to fight and disagree a lot, but we've grown past that. We're great friends."

"She must be - what, twenty now? Is she in college?"

I shook my head. "She opted out. She's been traveling a lot recently, but she's been home for a while. She's still in New York."

"She lives in the state?"

I nodded. "She's roommates with my best friend's good friend. They share an apartment in Upper East Side, not far from my home."

Jason ran his tongue across his scar, reminding me of something.

"How did you get that scar anyway?"

He smiled a little. "When I was really little, I had a bad habit of chewing on random household objects. Remotes, pens and pencils, silverware, and - the most detrimental of all - staplers. I was gnawing on one and Thalia ran over to take it away, but she was seconds too late. I stapled my upper lip. She was trying hard not to laugh, I remember. I wonder if she still remembers. It was over ten years ago, almost twelve."

I smirked. "If I know Thalia, she remembers. She holds onto anything remotely embarrassing to use against you. As soon as you two are comfortable with each other, that'll be the first thing she teases you about, and you can count on it."

Jason smiled, and we grabbed our supplies. We loaded up blunt arrows into our quivers and strapped them on, also grabbing bows. I couldn't help but notice how hesitant Bianca was being.

We started our lessons with Chiron, aiming for different targets at different distances and learning new techniques. Through out the whole thing, Bianca was on my mind. The way she winced whenever someone shot an arrow, the way her arms shook as she held the bow and loaded it up.

I wondered if she was doing as well as I had first thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think? I wanted to get one more chapter out before the bonus chapter, so here you are! Did you like it? If you enjoyed, please leave a vote and comment your favorite breakfast food! I'd say either pancakes or French toast!