{27} I AM SUCH A GOOD SPORT ABOUT EVERYTHING {27}

Saturday, 5-12-18

"You all have sunscreen on?"

"Yep."

"And you have spare clothes?"

"Yes."

"No one needs the bathroom?"

"Jeez, Annabeth. Relax a little," I said, laughing.

She narrowed her eyes. "I want to have a good day, and to accomplish that it needs to get all planned out."

"Of course," I responded, "but you don't need to be so controlling about it."

"Well, maybe if you - "

"Alrighty, kiddos, hop in the car," Mom interrupted. "Paul loaded everything in, and all of the others are seated."

I nudged past Annabeth from where we were facing each other in the kitchen and left our home. I ran downstairs and wandered to the car garage where we had our cars parked.

I was bummed that I had a small fight with Annabeth, because I was previously very excited. It was one of the warmest days we had had, and we were all going to the beach. I was pumped.

We had two cars in our family, one from when Mom was still with Gabe and one that Paul had brought with him. We were taking Mom's car, because it had seven seats, while Paul's Prius only had five.

Mom was driving us, and Caly had claimed shot gun. Grover was in the center of the way back, Juniper on his left and Rachel on his right. I got in in front of Rachel, and Annabeth sat in front of Juniper, on my left.

"Everyone has everything?" my mom asked.

We all nodded, and she pulled off. The beach we were going to was less than an hour to reach, probably more like thirty minutes.

Caly turned the radio on and a trashy Justin Bieber song blared out. She quickly lowered the volume.

"Jeez, what do you listen to, Perce?" she asked, giggling.

My ears burned red. "Hey, I can't drive! Blame the woman of age!"

"Are you sure you don't have Bieber fever?" Rachel asked teasingly, leaning over the seat.

I smacked her hand away from me. "Yes, Rache."

"That blush says otherwise," Annabeth murmured.

I crossed my arms. "Yeah?"

She smirked. "Oh, yeah. You're a diehard fan, and definitely know all of the lyrics."

I scoffed. "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Annabeth laughed. I hoped that meant she was no longer upset about whatever had occurred in the kitchen.

I didn't want to damage our friendship when it was just about to become something more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess you could say that the water was my safe space. Whenever I was angry or upset as a little kid, my mom would bring me to the beach, and I almost instantly relaxed. Whether it was a lake, pond, river, or ocean, the water calmed me. I think it's because it connects me to my father. He was sadly caught in a large hurricane off the coast of Florida whilst trying to rescue some poor kids who had taken a life boat from a cruise ship and sailed off course.

So, as soon as I stepped onto the sandy beach, all of my worries drifted away. I was no longer concerned about being brave or how other people saw me. I just was.