The Scars That Define Me

I'm back in action! Sorry for being MIA for so long. I'll try hard to mark my presence more often.

Walking along those brightly lit corridors, Kibum couldn’t help but wonder if he was in heaven. Children of all ages, religion and colour resided there peacefully. There was always one or two kids who greeted him within every couple of feet. He smiled and chatted with them cheerfully.
He had come to this love house early in the morning. He tried to shake off his sleep as he climbed down the car. He walked upto the door in a daze. When the guardian opened the door to let him in, he was instantly hit by a loud burst of energetic shouts. At least thirty children were waiting for his arrival and when the saw him they began screaming at the top of their lungs. Kibum was taken aback for a moment. He had not expected them to recognize him. But once he got his bearing back, he realized that they were just addressing him as hyung and oppa. None of them really did seem to know his real identity. Kibum sighed in relief.

Since then, he had been helping them with their daily chores – he helped in shovelling the garden, preparing breakfast and doing a bit of vacuuming. He always hated doing these petty jobs, but something about the kids and their way of doing everything with a smile on their faces helped him find joy in those.

It was after lunch that he decided to take a break. The little kids were taking a nap and the elder ones had retreated to their own rooms to do a bit of homework. Kibum was tired but he did not have the habit of sleeping during the day. So he decided to take a stroll through the love house. He was about to pass a door in one of the corners when he heard a stifled cry from inside. Kibum hesitated for a moment. He didn’t know if it was right to eavesdrop or intrude into someone’s privacy. The rational and emotional parts of his mind threw conflicting arguments into his mind, but in the end, Kibum decided to enter and see what was up. He tried the door which was unfastened.
He knocked on it before entering. As he stepped into the room, he was initially mesmerized by the sheer volume of origami swans hanging from the ceiling. The room was decorated with paper flowers and all sorts of origami artefacts. Sitting in a corner of the room was a girl of about 17. She had her head in between her knees and her hair in loose curls. She still hadn’t realized Kibum’s presence inside the room.

“Cheogiyo?” Kibum whispered. Seeing that the girl didn’t hear him, he called again, this time a little loudly, “Cheogiyo?”

The girl’s head snapped up. She hurriedly rubbed her tear streaked face and put on a stone cold expression. “Who are you? Why are you here? Who let you enter into my room?” she demanded.

“Ani... I was just passing by when I heard you… you… I mean are you ok?” Kibum stuttered.

“What do you mean – are you ok? Why do you care? Just – just get out” she screamed as she pushed him out of the room and slammed the door shut.

Kibum stood outside the door frozen like a statue. He was not put off by her sudden outburst, but it was the wounds on her wrists that concerned him. Kibum felt a wave of pain washing over him. He wanted to do something – anything to help the girl.

He waited for a few minutes, collected himself and softly knocked on the door. “Hey…”

Only silence greeted him.

“Can I come in?” he asked again and when he didn’t get any response,
Kibum tried the door.

“I am coming in anyway,” he said and went inside taking her silence as consent.

She was lying down on the bed with her eyes on the ceiling. Kibum awkwardly sat on the side of the
bed.

“Hey,” he whispered.