Wish You were Here

Kibum woke up earlier than usual

Kibum woke up earlier than usual. Actually, it would be more appropriate to say that he got up from the bed after tossing and turning for a few hours. He came home after a small congratulatory dinner arranged by Lee Seo Man for their 10th anniversary. The dinner, though only lasted for two hours, felt like a lifetime. All he wanted was to get back home, curl up in the comfort of his bed and sleep. But sleep seemed to evade him at the sight of the bed. The next few hours were too laborious as he tried to close his eyes and drift off. But clearly that hadn't happened and there he was at 3.40 in the morning sitting on the kitchen island staring at the coffee which was steadily cooling.

He then took his phone out of his pyjama pocket and scrolled through the Instagram of Jonghyun. Silent tears slipped down his eyes despite his trying. His eyes lingered on the video of his hyung eating a large bite of a cake. 'Such a dork. You should have stayed you idiot.' Key muttered. Then he suddenly closed the Instagram, opened their group chat and texted, "Let's go meet Jonghyun hyung"

Within seconds he got the reply from Onew Hyung - "Sure let's go."

Key was surprised to know that Onew was already up.

K : hyung, you are up?

O: Yeah. Couldn't sleep.

M: So when should we go?

K: You up too?

O: Minho, I didn't think you'd be up this early.

T: I couldn't sleep too.

K: Taemina...

T: :'(

T: I miss jonghyun hyung so much

O: I know taemina...

K: That idiot.

M: Since, we all are up, can we go there at 5. There won't be much people and we can stay there for a whie.

K: Yes. I'll pick up Taemin.

M: I'll bring Onew hyung. Let's meet there at 5.

T: Sure.

Kibum got ready quickly. He then went out to his garden and plucked 10 white roses. Jonghyun always adored his garden. He was even a bit jealous of it. He found a red ribbon and tied the flowers together. He then picked up Taemin and went to the charnel house. Minho and Onew arrived after five minutes. They went up to Key and Taemin. Together they went inside. As expected, there was no one inside. Key placed the flowers infront of his urn. It was hard for all of them. Taemin instinctively hugged Onew and wept on his shoulder. Minho stood there numb. Key's legs gave away and he sat abruptly on the ground. They stayed there for a long time. Time seemed to be on a standstill. After god-knows-how-long, they shuffled their way out. Their eyes were all swelled and tears streaked their faces. As they moved to their cars, Key stopped abruptly.

"Guys do you see that" he said, pointing to something at a distance.

"what?" Minho asked straining his eyes to see what Key was pointing at. However, he couldn't see anything.

But Key could. Almost, ten feet in front of him Jonghyun was standing smiling at him. As he stood there too shocked to move, Jonghyun came up close to him. "Kibumma, thank you for the flowers. They smell nice. You wished if I were here and here I am. I cannot let you think that I left you for good, anymore. So, here I am. Now, cheer up and celebrate this anniversary."

Then, he turned and began walking away. After walking a few steps, he turned with a mischievous smirk and said, "Although, I can't say I appreciate you calling me an idiot every now and then". He then broke into a heart-warming laughter. And as Key looked at him, Jonghyun began rising up and disappeared.

"Hyungdeul?" It was Taemin's voice that brought Key back to reality. He looked at Taemin. He was pointing at the sky. The Moon shone from above, despite the sun trying to shield it from view.

"That idiot!" Key chuckled lightly and the others joined as they put their hands on each other's shoulders and looked at the moon.

"Happy 10th Debut Anniversary" Onew muttered.

"Happy 10th Debut Anniversary" the others joined.

I wrote this on May 25th 2018. Sorry for the very late update. I hope you will look past it.

If you like it, do you mind clicking on that tiny yellow star?