In The Library

When my friends told me that first weeks of college would be bad, I did not expect it to be as disastrous as this is turning out to be. I had only been there for 3 hours and I had already travelled the entirety of the college as an errand girl for the seniors. The worst part was, I did’t even know if
those so-called masters belonged to my department. But, as a freshman, I was in no position to ask them anything, which I had to learn the bad way.

Then, I was stumbling back to the block A cafeteria from Block D library with 1264 books for a rude senior. He thrusted a list of books at me and asked them to get it for him and that was exactly what I was doing. In all that rush and with the minimum visibility allowed by the mountain of books I did not see that perfectly manicured feet blocking my path and before I could blink, I was on the floor as with books strewn all around me.

Exhaustion and frustration was boiling within me, threatening to come out as warm salty liquid
through my eyes, or in an easier way, I was about to cry.

”Did a library just throw up on you?”

I looked around to find the source of the voice and my eyes landed on a charming boy, most likely a senior. I felt a sudden rage towards the boy who was making fun of my misery. He did not allow it to grow anymore, as he quickly kneeled down beside me and helped pick up all the books in a neat pile. I felt a surge of gratitude towards him but could not manage anything more than a mumbled thanks as I had to rush to the cafeteria to give the books to the douchebag of a senior.

My mind numbly registered the senior boy calling out after me but I could not afford to stop and have a chit-chat. I shouted a thank you over the shoulder and ran to the café.

That night, I laid down on the bed contemplating the events of the day or more specifically my short
encounter with that senior. I had his face and smile etched to my face and he had, by now, assumed the form
of an angel in my mind, as he was he only person to show even a bit of kindness to me.
Silently hoping to see him the next day, I fell asleep.
----------------------
I woke up to the sound of the alarm blaring through the phone and pressed the snooze button
allowing me another five minutes of blissful sleep. After five minutes, it again disturbed my sleep cycle and I woke up groggily.
After a quick shower I went down to the kitchen to make a light breakfast. While preparing the toast and a salad bowl, I noticed the post-it on the fridge reminding the arrival of the books I have ordered. That instantly lit up my mood.

I served the toast on a plate, poured some OJ into a class, took them all to the kitchen island and began munching on them happily. Just then the calling bell ringed indicating the arrival of the books.

I went out, received the parcel and resumed my breakfast in a hurry. Without wasting another
moment, I picked up the huge box and went to the library. I opened it carefully and began arranging
the books on the shelves.

This library is the best part of our home- a gift from my husband. So, it’s an extra special space.

As I was trying to place Harriet Beecher Stowe’s ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’ on the top row dedicated for classics, I felt 2 arms wrapping around me. I startled and dropped the book which the man behind me caught with ease.

‘Nice reflex Mr. Taemin,’ I commented while turning my body to face the man.

There stood the man, who helped me out on my first day in college, the man who mocked at me asking if a library had thrown up on me, the man who built me a library, the man who bought me the books, the man who stole my heart, the man who claimed me with that gorgeous diamond ring.

‘Anything to impress malady’ he said with a mock polite voice.

‘When did you come? I didn’t hear you,’ I said.

‘Just now. The members are staying back at Chile for another day or two. But I couldn’t spend another minute without you,’ he said in all sincerity and seriousness.

‘I—That’s so cheesy’ I giggled.

But then I pecked a kiss on his cheek and said, ‘I’m glad you are back. Come on, now let’s have some breakfast,’ I grabbed his hand and pulled him down to the kitchen.
----------------
The boy who helped me turned out to be Lee Taemin, the golden boy of our college. We dated for three years.
On my day of graduation, he surprised me with the biggest gift, the sweetest and most romantic
proposal I could ever fathom.

My life couldn’t have been any better. His smile, jokes, cheerfulness and our mutual feeling of love, if anything, has only grown more. And I know for a fact that I am lucky to have found Taemin, my namja.