I was already halfway down the driveway when Rex got to the back of his car. He paused when he saw me already tumbling down the driveway, and I watched that dark eyebrow raise question.

        "Hi." I chirped excitedly and jetted straight for the passenger door. I didn't even wait for his response, though the dark chuckle ringing in my ears was answer enough. The quick escape to the car was just to avoid questions from Luce, and completely not because I was blushing like a deranged idiot.

       "So where are we going?" I asked the second he climbed into the driver's seat and started the car. That small smirk pulled up at the corner of his lips as he pulled away from the curb, though his eyes slanted briefly towards mine.

       "Some place fun."

       "Fun, like Lane's place with all the cars fun?"

       He chuckled again, and the sound went straight to the flutter part of my stomach. I bit my lip to keep from making any whimpering noises that desperately wanted to fall past my lips.

       "Something like that."

       "Are the others going to be there?"

       "Mhm."

       "Why aren't we riding together? Oh shoot, did I take too long? I'm sorry, I didn't-" But my babbling instantly cut off when he let out a heavy sigh and rolled his eyes. Though, it was his hand reaching over and slipping easily into mine that had my lips sealing shut.

       "Relax Rose, they're going to meet us there and I needed my car. And if anything, I was the one taking too long." Then he grew silent as he pulled the car out onto the main street.

       I was trying to control the raging emotions inside me as that rough thumb of his rubbed gently against the back of my hand. His fingers felt wonderful between mine, strong and reassuring. I never wanted to let go.

       The closer we got to wherever it was we were going, the more-excited Rex seemed to get. Though I wasn't sure excited was the right word. His body was strumming with tension, but not that usually angry kind. He seemed to be buzzing in his seat with adrenaline, and a dark, sort of primal, smile was trying to pull at his lips as we turned off the main road twenty minutes later.

       I wasn't necessarily afraid when he turned down a hidden road completely surrounded by overgrown trees and forest, but I still couldn't help the slight twinge of panic that rose in my chest. "Um... Rex?" I asked softly as we drove over the rough, not even technically a road, road.

       "Were almost there." Was all he answered, his dark eyes flickering around the trees as that adrenaline I felt from him before made him fidget absently in his seat, his hand still clutched around mine.

       I shouldn't have been surprised when the dense patch of forest suddenly gave way to a large open field-especially with how much I knew he loved cars. There were dozens upon dozens of vehicles all parked on the grassy field, far more than in Lane's warehouse, with a huge crowd walking around them.

       There were little campfires in some of the large spaces between cars, people laughing and drinking. There had to be more than a hundred or so people there, all waiting for-what I was quickly starting to believe-an illegal race.

       There was a huge dirt roundabout, attached to a very long road that disappeared into the trees, on the other side of the field. The roundabout part was lit up brightly with portable stadium lights, and a few wooden benches for people to sit on surrounded the area. Though most of the crowd was sitting on the hoods of their cars or in the beds of trucks to watch instead.